Forever Green
Campaign for Northwest
Directory
A-Z Index
 

Campus Building Information

View interactive campus map

Last updated: July 2020

Campus Buildings

Administration Building

administration buildingBuilt in 1907-1910, this Tudor Gothic structure with its four towers is the landmark of the campus and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. In 1979, a fire destroyed the north wing, which contained the Deerwester Theater, and the west wing, which is largely restored. In addition, the entire second floor has been extensively renovated. This historic building houses the offices of Admissions, Career Services, the Registrar, Scholarships and Financial Assistance, Human Resources, and University Marketing and Communication as well as the graduate school, and various administrative and student services offices.

Total square feet: 96,702

Year built: 1910

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

J.W. Jones Student Union

student union westThe opening of this structure in 1952 fulfilled a long-time dream of J.W. Jones, the sixth president of the University. A renovation and addition completed in 1999 more than doubled the size of the building. The building's dining facilities underwent a complete remodel during the summer of 2013 to add national brands and conveniences for students. The Student Union is a split-level structure with three floors. The basement is commonly referred to as the first floor, and the "ground floor," as accessed from the east plaza, is commonly called the second floor.

The building houses the offices of Student Involvement, Student Affairs as well as the Student Engagement Center. On its second floor, the building houses the office of Campus Dining, which is managed by Aramark Corp., and the Bearcat Bookstore, which is managed by Barnes & Noble College Booksellers and sells a variety of books, supplies and Northwest merchandise.

A second floor dining area, named The Jones, features Einstein Bros. Bagels, Chick-fil-A,  and Zen Asian cuisine. Bearcat Commons on the first floor consists of a Mediterranean kitchen offering pizza and pasta, produce market and deli, all-American grill, Tex Mex cuisine, bakery, Mongolian grill and exhibition stations.

Named facilities inside the Student Union take initial capitals: the First Ladies Dining Room, the Living Room, the Boardroom, the Ballroom, the Tower View Room. Designations such as meeting room A or B are so expressed.

Total square feet: 121,788

Year built: 1952

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

Jon T. Rickman Electronic Campus Support Center

electronic campus supportThe Jon T. Rickman Electronic Campus Support Center, which is located across from Bearcat Baseball Field and the B.D. Owens Library, provides free-of-charge, in-person service to Northwest students and employees who have been issued University-owned notebook computers or tablets. The building was built in 1951 and was formerly the Missouri National Guard Armory.

Total square feet: 13,326

Year built: 1951

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor

Mabel Cook Recruitment and Visitors Center

Mabel CookLocated at the southeast entrance to campus, the center is named for a graduate of the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, who later served on the faculty and chaired the department. The building serves as a visitors center and contains offices for admissions staff.

Total square feet: 5,225

Year built: 1962

Michael L. Faust Alumni Center for Alumni and Friends

alumni houseLocated on College Avenue, the Federal-style structure is owned by the non-profit Northwest Foundation, and its offices are leased to the Office of University Advancement, which includes alumni relations and development operations. The Faust Center was purchased by the Foundation in 1980 after a loyal group of alumni brought together their combined vision and resources to challenge all Bearcat alumni and friends to secure a permanent home for alumni activities and services.

Previously known as the Alumni House, the building was renamed in 2017 in honor of Faust, a 1974 alumnus, after the completion of a 2,994 square-foot addition that included staff offices and the Lawhead Conference Room, named for 1942 Northwest graduate Florence Abarr Lawhead, who served on the Northwest Foundation Board of Directors and was active in the Alumni Association.

Total square feet: 11,067

The Station

stationOpened in 1966 as Taylor Commons dining hall and known for a period as the Conference Center, this facility on the northwest side of campus contains lounges, meeting rooms and study areas. It houses Mooyah Burgers , Fries and Shakes, a P.O.D. convenience store and Textbook Services.

Total square feet: 32,732

Year built: 1968

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | 1st Floor

Support Services Building

support servicesLocated on College Park Drive on the north side of campus, the Support Services Building was completed in 2014 as an addition to the Materials Distribution Center. It houses the University Police Department and the Office of Purchasing.

Total square feet: 7,300

Year built: 2014

The Materials Distribution Center was built in 2002. It is the warehouse facility that houses Central Receiving, Central Stores and University surplus.

Total square feet: 25,000

Year built: 1999

Thomas Gaunt House

gaunt houseLocated on College Avenue, across from the Michael L. Faust Center for Alumni and Friends on the south end of campus, the Gaunt House was constructed in 1870. The Classical Revival structure has been the residence of University presidents since the founding of the institution in 1905. The house was constructed by Gaunt, a retired sea captain whose tree nursery was located on what is now the main campus. The home has undergone multiple renovations; a 1,826-square-foot was added to the grounds in 1930.

The home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

Total square feet: 6,673

Year built: 1875

Thompson-Ringold Building

thompson ringoldThis building, located north of Wells Hall, was built in 1931 to house industrial arts programs. Kenneth Thompson and Howard Ringold were long-time faculty members of that department, which no longer exists.

Total square feet: 31,765

Year built: 1932

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor

Wellness Center

wellness centerThis facility provides student medical and counseling services within the unit of Wellness Services.

Total square feet: 7466

Year built: 1997

Academic Buildings

B.D. Owens Library

owens libraryNamed for the eighth president of the University, this limestone and glass structure opened in 1983. With more than 100,000 square feet of space, Owens Library is designed to meet the library needs of the University well into the future, and to accommodate technological advances in information retrieval systems. Included in Owens Library are personal computers connected to the campus network, including a multitude of web-based databases, group and private study rooms, and comfortable seating arranged throughout the open stacks. The building also features a Starbucks store within the library's first floor Novel Grounds area.

Total square feet: 111,498

Year built: 1982

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

Botany Lab

botany labTotal square feet: 5,232

Year built: 2002

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor

Colden Hall

coldenCompleted in 1959, this V-shaped structure is named for Charles J. Colden, the first president of the Board of Regents. Renovated in 1996-97, it contains classrooms and offices for the School of Health Science and Wellness; Melvin D. and Valorie G. Booth School of Business; Department of Language, Literature and Writing; and School of Computer Science and Information Systems.

Total square feet: 79,721

Year built: 1958

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

Dean L. Hubbard Center for Innovation

Dean L. Hubbard Center for InnovationLocated on the northeast edge of the campus, this facility opened in 2009 as the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. It was renamed in honor of Northwest's ninth president, Dr. Dean L. Hubbard, in 2014. In 2017, the Hubbard Center's business incubation wing was remodeled and became the home of the School of Agricultural Sciences.

Total square feet: 46,710

Year built: 2007

Floor plans: View PDF Academic | Incubator

Everett W. Brown Education Hall

Located across from the J.W. Jones Student Union, this Neo-Gothic structure was renovated in 1987 and is named for Everett W. Brown, an alumnus, long-time staff member and eight-term member of the Missouri House of Representatives. Built in 1939, Brown Hall houses the School of Education in addition to the Horace Mann Laboratory School and the Phyllis and Richard Leet Center for Children and Families.

Total square feet: 70,550

Year built: 1939

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | 1st Floor | 2nd Floor

Fire Arts Building

fire artsCompleted in 2004, this triangular structure is located south of the Olive DeLuce Fine Arts Building. It houses ceramics, sculpture and wielding programs. The building also is equipped with a variety of sophisticated safety, fire prevention and ventilation systems.

Total square feet: 11,227

Year built: 2004

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor

Garrett-Strong Science Building

garrett strong This building, located north of the Administration Building, honors two former department chairs, William T. Garrett, of the former Department of Biological Sciences, and J. Gordon Strong, of the former Department of Chemistry and Physics. Completed in 1968 and renovated in 2000-2001, Garrett-Strong contains laboratories, lecture halls and classrooms, while serving as the home of the Department of Natural Sciences.

Total square feet: 159,787

Year built: 1968

Floor plans: View PDF: 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

Horticulture Complex

horticulture complexTotal square feet: 10,426

Year built: 1989

Martindale Hall

martindale hall Home to the School of Health Science and Wellness, this building contains classrooms, offices, a dance studio and Martindale Gymnasium, which formerly was the home of Bearcat basketball. The building, which opened in 1926, was remodeled between 1973 and 1975. It is named after Nell Martindale Kuchs, who, beginning in the 1920s, was instrumental in developing the women's physical education program at Northwest

Total square feet: 38,521

Year built: 1925

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

McKemy Center for Lifelong Learning

mckemy centerLocated north of the Garrett-Strong Science Building, this structure was completed in 1977 and named for Alfred McKemy, a former member and president of the Board of Regents. Renovated in 1999, the facility currently provides classroom and meeting space. It features a 100-plus seat lecture hall, computer lab, recording studio and a commodities training room to simulate market tracking.

Total square feet: 7,492

Year built: 1977

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor

Olive DeLuce Fine Arts Building

fine arts Located on the south side of campus, this circular structure was dedicated in 1965 and honors the long-time faculty member and nationally recognized leader in art education, Olive DeLuce. The Fine Arts Building contains the Olive DeLuce Art Gallery, classrooms, rehearsal rooms, art studios and offices for the Department of Fine and Performing Arts. The 549-seat Charles Johnson Theater is named for the first chairman of the Spring Festival of the Arts, which evolved into the year-long Northwest Encore performance series.

Total square feet: 91,465

Year built: 1965

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | Basement

 

Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts

PAC Studio theatre

Completed in 1984, the Ron Houston (pronounced HOUSE-ton) Center for the Performing Arts contains the Mary Linn Auditorium, Studio Theatre and other facilities related to the dramatic arts, including a black box performance space, classroom, scene shop, costume shop, green room and faculty offices.

The Mary Linn Auditorium is the main performance space in the building. Mary Casteel Linn was a regent and dedicated patron of the arts. The 1,027-seat theater can accommodate a full symphony orchestra and Broadway-style stage productions.

Total square feet: 60,114

Year built: 1983

Floor plans: View PDF PAC Lower Level | PAC 1st Floor | PAC 2nd Floor

Valk Center

Valk Completed in 1970 and named for Donald N. Valk, long-time chair of the former Department of Technology, the building became the home of the University's agriculture program in 1993. Facilities include faculty offices, lecture rooms, laboratories and an agriculture museum. In the summer of 2008, the lower level of Valk was remodeled to serve as the home the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences. Lower-level classrooms opened in fall 2008 and faculty offices were completed in 2009.

Total square feet: 47,994

Year built: 1970

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | 1st Floor

Wells Hall

wellsDedicated in 1939 as the University's library, Wells Hall is named for the University's first librarian, Edwin C. Wells. After the opening of B.D. Owens Library, the building was converted into a classroom building and currently houses the School of Communication and Mass Media. It is home to Student Media programs, which include KZLX radio, KNWT TV, The Northwest Missourian newspaper and Tower yearbook. Northwest's National Public Radio affiliate, KXCV/KRNW, broadcasts from the second floor of the building. A 2015 remodel of classroom space resulted in the opening of the Michael L. Faust Media Lab.

Total square feet: 56,335

Year built: 1939

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | Basement

Residential facilities

Dieterich Hall

dieterich hallNamed for H.R. Dieterich, this seven-story residence hall is located on the northwest side of campus.

Total square feet: 69,468

Year built: 1971

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | First Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor | 4th Floor | 5th Floor | 6th Floor | 7th Floor

Forest Village Apartments

community bldgForest Village Apartments is a complex comprised of apartment buildings - Hawthorn, Sycamore and Willow - completed in 2004 and located on the north portion of the campus. The complex contains a community building providing lounges and meeting facilities for residents, a convenience store, mailboxes and staff offices. The fully furnished apartments consist of two‐ and four-bedroom styles; they include a living, storage, kitchen and dining spaces. The units contain a washer, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, stove and cable TV.

Year built: 2004

Total square feet:

  • Hawthorn: 25,146
  • Sycamore: 25,146
  • Willow: 22,850
  • Community Building: 5,189

Floor plans: View PDF

Franken Hall

franken hallNamed for Katherine Franken, a psychology faculty member, this seven-story coed residence hall is one of four high-rise structures located on the northwest side of campus.

Total square feet: 69,525

Year built: 1968

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | First Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor | 4th Floor | 5th Floor | 6th Floor | 7th Floor

Hudson and Perrin Halls

hudson perrinThis structure houses nearly 500 first-year students. It retains the names of residential facilities that previously stood on the same footprint and were demolished to build the current building. The building's south residential wing is named for the first woman registrar, Nell Hudson, and the northern wing is named for the first dean of women, Alice R. Perrin.

Total square feet: 167,144

Year built: 2007

Floor plans: View PDF Perrin 1st Floor | Perrin 2nd Floor | Perrin 3rd Floor | Perrin 4th Floor | Perrin 5th Floor | Hudson 1st Floor | Hudson 2nd Floor | Hudson 3rd Floor | Hudson 4th Floor 

Millikan Hall

millikan hallNamed for Chloe Millikan, an education faculty member, this seven-story residence hall is one of four high-rise structures located on the northwest side of campus.

Total square feet: 69,491

Year built: 1971

Floorplans View PDF: Lower Level | First Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor | 4th Floor | 5th Floor | 6th Floor | 7th Floor

North Complex

north complexThis structure contains Cooper Hall, named for Albert H. Cooper, former director of extension; Douglas Hall, named for former Regent R.L. Douglas; and Tower Hall. It houses the Office of Title IX and Equity, academic space for Knacktive, the Regional Professional Development Center and the Career Closet. It is also used for student housing and apartments.

Total square feet: 62,103

Year built: 1962

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor | 4th Floor

Phillips Hall

phillips hallPhillips Hall is one of four seven-story residence halls on the northwest side of campus.

Total square feet: 69,525

Year built: 1968

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | First Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor | 4th Floor | 5th Floor | 6th Floor | 7th Floor

Roberta Hall

robertaRoberta Hall provides housing for members of Northwest's social sororities and is named for Roberta Steel, who lost her life as a result of injuries suffered during a 1951 explosion and fire that heavily damaged the building. Roberta Hall was renovated in 1993-94.

Total square feet: 71,218

Year built: 1922

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

South Complex

cook hallThis residence hall contains Wilson Hall, named for Lon Wilson, former dean of men; Richardson Hall, named for fourth University President Ira Richardson; and Cook Hall, named for T.H. Cook, a former history faculty member.

Total square feet: 82,637

Year built: 1962

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | 1st Floor | 2nd Floor | 3rd Floor

Tower Suites

TS EastTower Suites, completed for the fall of 2004, is located on the west side of campus adjacent to the high-rise residence halls and The Station. The residential complex provides upperclass students with advanced housing options. Sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students may choose to live in the suite-style buildings./p>

Year built: 2004

Total square feet:

  • Tower Suites East: 43,993
  • Tower Suites West: 44,161

Floor plans: View PDF

Athletics & recreation facilities

Bearcat Baseball Field

baseball pressboxbaseball field aerialBearcat Baseball Field is the home of the Bearcat baseball team and is located on the west side of campus. It has a grass infield, scoreboard and press box facility. Originally constructed in 1968, the field has a seating capacting of 500.

The dugouts were replaced in 2017, and the backstops were replaced in 2018.

Total square feet: 640

Year built: 1981

Bearcat Pitch

soccer fieldThe home of Northwest women's soccer, Bearcat Pitch was constructed in 1999 for the inaugural season of Bearcat soccer. The facility seats 600 spectators and features a weather-protected press box with a full sound system. Bearcat Pitch also includes weather-protected team areas and benches. Prior to the 2020 season, the grass field surface was replaced with AstroTurf.

Total square feet: 600

Year built: 2001

Bearcat Softball Field

softball field The softball field was constructed in 1996 near Phillips Hall on the west side of campus. Home to the Bearcat softball team, the dirt infield is made from aqualime, a textured soil that allows moisture to go through the ground.

Total square feet: 456

Year built: 2000

Bearcat Stadium

bearcat stadium The home of Bearcat football, Bearcat Stadium offers permanent seating for 6,200 fans and a total capacity of 7,500. The playing surface is known as Mel Tjeerdsma Field, renamed in 2007 in honor of Northwest's head football coach from 1994 to 2010, and the track that encircles the field is called Herschel Neil Track, in honor of a Bearcat track and field standout of the 1930s. The stadium also houses the Loch-O’Rourke Family Center, a gathering space housing championship trophies on the Mezzanine Level, and the Navy V-5/V-12 Combat Information Center, a classroom facility under the west granstand that serves as a tribute to individuals who prepared for Navy combat duty at Northwest.

Opened in 1917, it is the the longest-running continuous site for football in NCAA Division II. The stadium underwent extensive renovations between 2000 and 2003, and in 2004 its name was changed from Rickenbrode Stadium. In 2007, the natural playing surface was changed to turf and lights were added.

Year built: 1958

Structural improvements:

  • West concessions stand: Completed in 1996; 2,297 total square feet
  • East ticket booth: Completed in 2000; 242 total square feet
  • East grandstand: Completed in 2000; 3,520 total square feet
  • West grandstand: Completed in 2003; 35,613 total square feet

 

 

Carl and Cheryl Hughes Fieldhouse

hughes-fieldhouse-fall2018-tw-10127.jpgThe Hughes Fieldhouse opened in 2018. It stands as the single largest public-private partnership in Northwest's history and one of the largest such projects in the region ever. The 137,250 square-foot, $21 million facility serves a multitude of social, recreational and economic needs for the University and region.

The facility is named for the Carl and Cheryl Hughes Family Foundation, which provided leading support for its construction. Carl Hughes is a 1976 alumnus, and his wife, Cheryl, who attended the University.

Total square feet: 137,250

Year built: 2018

Lamkin Activity Center

lamkinThis complex is named for the University's fifth president, Uel W. Lamkin, this facility opened in 1959 and underwent a renovation and expansion in 1993-1994. It includes Bearcat Arena, the Student Recreation Center and the Robert and Virginia Foster Fitness Center as well as offices, classrooms and other facilities supporting the Department of Athletics.

Bearcat Arena is home to the men's and women's basketball programs and Bearcat volleyball program. It has a seating capacity of 2,500 spectators. The facility stages University commencement ceremonies and professional concerts, among other activities, in addition to providing practice facilities for Bearcat athletics teams. The facility's lower level includes the Harr Athletic Success Center and the David and Susan Colt Athletic Training Room.

The Student Recreation Center expansion was built in 1993-1994. It includes three basketball courts, five racquetball/handball courts and a suspended track.

Total square feet: 137,994

Year built: 1958

Floor plans: View PDF Lower Level | 1st Floor | 2nd Floor

Mark Rosewell Tennis Center

Grube Tennis Shelter backThe tennis center, which includes the Frank W. Grube Tennis Courts, was rededicated in honor of Northwest tennis coach Mark Rosewell in 2019 as part of an expansion of the facility. The tennis courts were completed in 1981 and named after Grube, a long-time Department of English chair and first varsity tennis coach at the University

Total square feet: 260

Year built: 2019

Robert and Virginia Foster Fitness Center

foster fitness center The structure initially opened in 1981 as the 15,000-square-foot Robert P. Foster Aquatic Center, which closed in 2012. After an extensive remodeling, the facility reopened Aug. 31, 2015, as the Foster Fitness Center, consisting of 19,490 square feet of open floor space to accommodate cardio and weight lifting machines, a human performance lab and classroom space. The facility includes a group exercise room and a 2,300-square-foot mezzanine with cardio equipment and windows that provide natural lighting to the facility. It includes locker rooms and an enclosed walkway connecting the Student Recreation Center for added convenience.

The Anita Aldrich Human Performance Lab inside the Foster Fitness Center is named for Dr. Anita Aldrich, a 1936 Northwest graduate who dedicated herself to health, physical education and recreation education. During a career spanning 47 years, she served as a teacher and administrator of physical education programs in King City, St. Joseph and Kansas City in Missouri, and at Indiana University. She was appointed in 1961 as an advisor to President John F. Kennedy's Fitness Council and served as president during 1962-1963 of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education and Recreation to which she was later named an honor fellow.

Total square feet: 19,490

Year built: 1981

Floor plans: View PDF 1st Floor

Ryland Milner Complex

The complex comprises athletics facilities on the south side of campus along College Drive: Bearcat Stadium, Lamkin Activity Center, the Mark Rosewell Tennis Center and Martindale Hall. It is named for Ryland Milner, a long-time coach, athletic director and alumnus.

Landmarks

Bell of '48

bell of 48The class of 1948 gifted Northwest with a memorial bronze bell in honor of soldiers who fought and died during World War II, especially those fallen soldiers who attended Northwest or who once lived in northwest Missouri. The bronze bell has since heralded Northwest achievements and celebrations and mournfully chimed to honor the passing of students.

The Bell of ’48 is located near the Memorial Bell Tower and is in direct line of sight of the Administration Building.

Centennial Garden

centennial gardens Centennial Garden was completed in 2005 as part of the University's commemoration of its centennial. It is located adjacent to South Complex.

Colden Pond

Colden Pond is located on the south portion of campus, near Colden Hall and the Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza. It was originally called Lamkin Lake after Northwest President Uel Lamkin, who led Northwest from 1921 to 1945, and was inspired to construct the water feature. The pond quickly became known as Lamkin's Folly during its early days because it did not retain water. After the problem was resolved, the pond was stocked with fish and became a pleasant oasis for the campus community. In the 2000s, Colden Pond underwent renovations to expand and deepen it, creating a better environment for fish and to prevent the growth of algae.

College Park

college park sheltercollege park restroomsCollege Park is located on the west side of the campus along College Park Drive and provides space for a variety of University and community activities, including the Bearcat Tailgate Zone prior to home football games.

An 833-square-foot shelter space was completed in 1980. In 2005, an 896-square-foot restroom facility and the Raymond J. Courter College Park Pavillion were added.

Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza

flag plaza The Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza was constructed in 1998 as a tribute to Northwest's global enrollment. The International Plaza, which is a symbol of good will and peace, features the international flags of currently enrolled Northwest students as well as a display of five clocks showing the time in Maryville and four other regions.

Memorial Bell Tower

bell tower

Centrally located on the Northwest campus, the open-air Memorial Bell Tower is an iconic structure that was completed in 1971 to memorialize students, faculty and others who had served the country, including the military. University President Robert Foster announced plans to build the Bell Tower in 1965, and it was completed entirely with funds donated by University alumni and friends. 

Constructed using pre-cast concrete, the Bell Tower stands 100 feet tall and measures 25 feet in diameter. It also features brass memorial plaques and an electronic carillon. It underwent renovations in 1989 and again in 2004 to make structural repairs and improve handicapped accessibility.

Memorial Bell

memorial bell This memorial bell has resided west of Everett W. Brown Education Hall since 2007.

Pedestrian bridge

pedestrian bridge This pedestrian bridge connecting the north and south portions of campus was constructed in 2004.

Raymond J. Courter College Park Pavilion

pavilion Located west of the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts in College Park, the Courter Pavilion is an outdoor performance and presentation space that hosts a variety of University and community gatherings throughout the year, including Bearcat Zone Tailgate activities prior to each home football game.

It was named for Northwest's longtime vice president for finance and support services when he retired in 2009.

Total square feet: 4,787

Year built: 2005

Water storage tower

water tower This water storage tower was erected in 1967.

World War I Memorial Plaza

WWI memorial The Memorial Plaza was formally dedicated Nov. 10, 2006, and lies just west of the B.D. Owens Library, at the corner of College Park Avenue and Memorial Drive.

It originated in 1919 when the Nodaway County Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution planted trees and raised money for brick pillars and plaques to display names of 46 soldiers who died in the World War I. In the 1970s, the pillars were removed during a street renovation project and later reinstalled on the Northwest campus.

Facility Services Buildings

Athletic Grounds Building

athletic grounds The Athletic Grounds Support Building, constructed in 2006‐2007, is located west of the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts. It houses athletic field equipment, paint supplies, lawn equipment and employee support function

Total square feet: 5,847

Year built: 2007

Facility Services Building

LS office This support facility serves staff working in Northwest's Capital Programs unit.

Total square feet: 3,250

Year built: 1980

Custodial Services Center

CSC The Custodial Services Center is a support facility.

Total square feet: 6,508

Year built: 1968

Facility Services East

FS East The Facility Services East is a support building servicing Facility Services operations.

Total square feet: 21,140

Year built: 1979

Facility Services Maintenance Shop

facility maintenanceLocated on the northwest corner of the campus, the Facility Services Maintenance Shop houses administrative offices for Facility Services operations and the University's rental fleet.

Total square feet: 26,356

Year built: 2008

John C. Redden Jr. Power Plant

chiller plant power plantThe University's Power Plant was renamed in 2019 for Redden, who dedicated 45 years of service to Northwest and played a key role in launching its innovative alternative fuels program.

Originally used as coal-fired operation until its conversion to wood fuel, the Power Plant was completed around 1910 in conjunction with the Administration Building to support the new campus. The facility is connected by a 2-mile network of utility tunnels throughout the campus that carry steam as well as HVAC-chilled water to more than 30 buildings.

Total square feet: 6,233 (central plant, 18,790 square feet)

Year built: 1996

Landscape Greenhouse

LS green house Erected between 2000 and 2005, the facility includes offices, a greenhouse and equipment for the University's landscape services.

Total square feet: 3,024

Year built: 2000

Recycling Center

recycle The Recycling Center is a support facility providing community recycling of plastic containers, aluminum cans, mixed paper, cardboard and glass.

Total square feet: 21,510

Year built: 1989

Off-campus locations

Ed Phillips Rodeo Arena

Rodeo Arena

Click image for full version

Mozingo Outdoor Education Recreation Area (MOERA)

A 315-acre rural lake front tract of land located at Mozingo Lake Recreation Park, MOERA is offers student and community education and recreation activities. Facilities include a challenge course consisting of an Alpine tower, Carolina climbing wall, and group dynamics low element obstacle stations; courtesy dock; a trap skeet range that may be used for target archery; a biology research area; a small astronomy observatory and outdoor telescope viewing area; and storage buildings. A mixture of walking trails and gravel roads exist throughout the acreage.

MOERA/Mozingo Lake

Click image for full version

R.T. Wright Farm

The University's 448-acre crop and livestock operation is located three miles north of Maryville, at Highway 71 and Icon Road. Named for a former chair of the School of Agricultural Sciences, the farm provides farm management experience and a hands-on laboratory for students.

Northwest Farm

Click image for full version