A-Z Index

Dates in Northwest History


Day Year Event
July 1926: The curved road from Fourth Street into campus was put in along with the fountain.
July 1 1943: More than 400 Navy men enroll in the College for the V-12 program.
July 1 1948: Seventy-five students pledge to work for the proposed bond issue for a Maryville swimming pool.
July 4 1917: "Office Cat," a precursor to The Stroller, makes its first appearance in the Green and White Courier.
July 5 1917: A series of "War Discussions" are given by faculty members for students and the public.
July 6 1928: President Uel Lamkin becomes president of the National Education Association.
July 6 1931: The College is caught in a bank failure, although most of the funds are insured.
July 8 1938: The Board of Regents is notified that the United States government will assume 45 percent of the cost of building a library.
July 8 2011: The Upward Bound program celebrates 25 years at Northwest with a reunion at the Gaunt House. The program helps high school students realize their goals of attending college.
July 9 1915: Miss Olive S. DeLuce is employed as head of the art department.
July 9 1930: Pulitzer Prize-winning author Will Durant comes to campus.
July 9 1911: City water is cut off from the Normal School. The school uses water from a well west of the Administration Building, and residents are forbidden from watering their horses at that well.
July 16 1907: The school's first athletics director, Paul A. White, is employed.
July 17 1918: A Service Flag for students and faculty serving in World War I is dedicated, with 137 stars on it.
July 19 1909: Dr. H.K. Taylor is elected president after the resignation of President Homer Martien Cook. But Mr. Cook withdraws his resignation, and for four months the school had two presidents.
July 20 1939: Thomas Hart Benton presents the class of 1939 with a lithograph of "Cradling Wheat" when the class is unable to purchase one of his oil paintings.
July 21 1949: The school's name is changed to Northwest Missouri State College.
July 22 1890: The cornerstone of the "Old Seminary Building" is laid.
July 24 1979: The Administration Building fire devastates the campus's central building.
July 25 1911: "Fair Ellen," a cantata, is given by the Normal Glee Club.
July 25 1913: The Bachelor of Pedagogy degree (for two years of work) is dropped and it is decided that a Life Diploma will be given without a title.
July 26 2010: Northwest's Administration Building, with its century-old towers standing as symbols of culture, education and economic development, is added to National Register of Historic Places. 
July 27 1911: Students see the first "talking picture" at the Fern Theater. (The story was told as the pictures played).
July 28 1905: The commission for locating the Fifth District Normal School in northwest Missouri visits Maryville.
July 28 2011: Three women become the first to graduate from Northwest’s bachelor of science in nursing completion program, which was launched in 2009. Also, 21 students become the first to receive their master of business administration degrees through an online degree program administered in collaboration with Missouri Southern State University.
July 29 1927: Pi Gamma Nu, a social science honor society, is organized.
July 29 1937: A Northwest intelligence test proves female students are smarter than male students.
July 29 2004: Northwest's football stadium formally known as Rickenbrode Stadium is renamed Bearcat Stadium. The name change was proposed by a group of anonymous donors who wanted the name to honor everyone who was involved in the recent completion of a series of stadium improvements.
July 30 1945: Dr. Uel W. Lamkin hands to the Board of Regents his resignation as president.
July 30 1954: The first commencement at Memorial Stadium is conducted at 8 p.m.
July 31 1996: The Wormy World restaurant opens for one night only in the Horace Mann fourth-level classroom, under the instruction of Sheri Strating. The night's menu included wormy casserole and chili con worme.
July 31 2010: Dr. Frank Grispino, professor and director of Northwest's doctoral program, retires after 45 years at the University.