Evacuation is necessary when any building becomes uninhabitable because of an event such as flooding, gas leak, contamination, pandemic flu, extreme weather conditions, loss of power or some other determined emergency incident. The response depends on the extent of the emergency. All students, faculty, and staff should familiarize themselves with the evacuation routes posted in the buildings that you live in or visit. If an evacuation order is issued for your building, fully cooperate with University Police/emergency personnel and:
- Take keys, wallets and essential belongings with you
- If possible wear weather appropriate clothing
- Do NOT use elevators
- Close, and lock doors
- Provide assistance to those with physical disabilities
- Evacuate in a safe and orderly fashion to the nearest staging areas(as determined by personnel) and await additional instructions.
Evacuation of Individuals with Physical Disabilities
The University Police Department will assist individuals with physical disabilities in an evacuation, making an attempt to lead them to safety.
If you have a disability that could impair your ability to perform any of the above:
- Please inform the Talent Development Office and request a meeting to discuss any special response accommodations needed.
- If there is not immediate danger (obvious smoke or fire), a person with limitations should either stay in place or be moved to an emergency exit stairwell. Please inform University Police 660.562.1254 the location of the individual.
- If there is imminent damage and evacuation cannot be delayed, the person with a disability should be carried or helped from the building in the best and fastest manner.
- The person with the disability is the best authority as to how to be moved out of the building. The best procedure is to let professional emergency personnel assist in the evacuation.
Any student may:
- Call University Police at 660.562.1254 or 911 and tell them where you are if assistance is needed.
- Notify their professor that assistance will be needed if an evacuation is deemed necessary.