This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University


Dates in Northwest History

January February March April May June
July August September October November December

May

May 1 1942: The first comprehensive examination is administered to men who wish to enter the Navy V-1 program, which provides for two years of academic training before active service.
May 2
May 3 1928: The Faculty Dames group is organized.
May 4 1860 Thomas Gaunt purchases and establishes a tree nursery on a tract of land that would eventually become the Northwest campus.
1910: Dean George Colbert sees Halley's Comet at 4 a.m.
1949: Mr. E.A. Davis, athletics director, announces that the first tennis team in about 10 years is being coached by Dr. Frank Grube, head of the English department.
2013: Northwest confers a record 708 degrees during its spring commencement exercises. Dr. Stuart Brand, director of learning experience at Birmingham City University in the United Kingdom, gives the commencement address.
May 5
May 6 1909: A report shows there are 5,396 books in the library.
May 7 1928: First AAUW inspection of the college.
May 8 1945: A special edition of The Northwest Missourian comes out in the morning announcing an assembly to mark the end of the war against Germany.
May 9
May 10 1930: The Epsilon Gamma Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the writers' honor society, is established on campus with 10 charter members.
May 11
May 12 1971: Students protest the lack of organizational photographs in the yearbook.
May 13 1909: It is announced that faculty salaries will be restored and the construction on the Administration Building will resume Aug. 19, 1909.
May 14
May 15 1906: The first books for the library are ordered.
1917: Mike the Dog dies, and contributions for a tombstone are taken the next day.
May 16 1921: President Ira Richardson submits his resignation and it was accepted.
May 17 1916: The senior play, a production of George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion," is determined to be "too advanced for Maryville."
1959: The Abraham Lincoln statue is shot by a night watchman.
May 18 1915: A four-year course to end with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education is authorized by Board of Regents.
1915: President Ira Richardson and W.A. Blagg, president of Board of Regents, are authorized to devise plans whereby a dormitory for women might be provided.
1931: Lightning strikes the east wing of the Administration Building, doing little damage.
1934: The Bearcat track and field team wins its first MIAA title.
2004: The Bell Tower renovation begins with four ramps all connecting to the major sidewalks, additional benches, pole lighting at four corners and new landscaping.
May 19 1913: The resignation of President Dr. H.K. Taylor is accepted. Ira Richardson, head of education department, is elected president.
1928: The Lambda Phi Chapter of Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority is installed.
1946: The Board of Regents passes a resolution stating that up to 10 foreign students should be encouraged to come to the College, and scholarships for the students will be provided by Northwest.
May 20
May 21 1939: Alpha Phi Omega, a service fraternity, receives its charter.
2009: Northwest's Board of Regents selects Dr. John Jasinski, executive vice president and chief academic and operating officer of Northwood University in Midland, Mich., to be the University’s 10th president.
May 22 1933: Almost all employees - including the president - take annual salary cuts.
May 23 1911: Mrs. Alice R. Perrin is named dean of women, and Mr. Ira Richardson is given charge of the Education department.
1944: Members of the Student Senate, using a pyrography needle, inscribe their names on the large oak table in the Bearcats' Den, starting the tradition that those who serve on the Senate and only such others as are specifically invited shall place their names on the table.
May 24 1951: For the first time in Northwest's history, an alumnus, Edward Morgan '34, gives the commencement address.
May 25 1927: Faculty members make their first appearance in academic dress at commencement.
1931: The graduation fee is raised to $7.50 to include cap, gown and an alumni banquet ticket.
May 26 1920: The redecoration of the Administration Building is completed and includes a green color scheme for woodwork.
1925: Miss Laura Schmitz of Chillicothe, the first woman on the Board of Regents, attends her first meeting.
1926: Frank Deerwester, the first college president, dies.
May 27 1907: Homer Martien Cook is named president; Mr. W.A. Rickenbrode becomes registrar.
1927: The faculty make their first appearance in academic dress at commencement.
May 28 1908: An alumni association is organized with John Rush as president and Bessie Cox as secretary.
1954: The first woman and first alumna commencement speaker is Dr. Mildred Sandison Fenner '31.
2011: Seventy-four students graduate from Northwest’s Missouri Academy of Science, Mathematics and Computing. In the Academy’s 10th year, the graduating class was the largest in the program’s history.
May 29 1911: Mr. C.E. Wells joins the faculty as a librarian.
1935: A diminished service plan is approved. At age 65, a faculty member's salary is reduced to 75 percent of that received between the ages 55 and 60.
1947: It is announced that the dean of the faculty is required to live at 421 College Drive.
May 30
May 31 2013: Northwest celebrates the opening of its St. Joseph Center at the newly restored Historic Green Acres building with a ribbon-cutting, tours, enrollment sessions and an evening reception. The St. Joseph Center had been located in downtown St. Joseph since 2007.