This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University


Dates in Northwest History

January February March April May June
July August September October November December

March

March 1 1945: The College, which had been on the semester plan "for the duration," goes back to the quarter plan for civilian students; credit is changed from 2.50 semester hours to 2.00 and 3.00 hours.
March 2
March 3 1910: Six acres of onions and early corn planted between Administration building and president's residence.
March 4
March 5 1945: "Co-eds Go Home Again" is the headline announcing that Residence Hall is again open for women students and that the remainder of the Navy V-12 men will live in the Men's Quadrangle until the program should close.
1974: A short-lived trend of streaking hits the Northwest campus.
March 6
March 7 1910: Work on quarter-mile running track on the athletics field north of the building begins by Dean George H. Colbert, Emmett Scott and others.
March 8
March 9 2009: For the first time in its history, the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District convenes at Northwest. A three-member panel hears oral arguments in three cases in the Student Union Ballroom.
March 10 1939: Kindergarten moves to the Horace Mann building.
1951: A terrible ice storm hits Maryville and many campus trees are ruined.
March 11
March 12 1957: The Northwest Missourian wins its seventh consecutive "First" rating in its class from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
2011: For the first time in its history, the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District convenes at Northwest. A three-member panel hears oral arguments in three cases in the Student Union Ballroom.
March 13 1906: The first heads of departments are chosen, including Mr. George H. Colbert, mathematics, who remains on the faculty until his death in 1950.
2014: Gov. Jay Nixon visits a Board of Regents meeting to applaud the University and Board members for answering his call to freeze undergraduate tuition.
March 14 1983: B.D. Owens Library opens.
March 15 1919: A tornado strikes the Administration Building, doing more than $13,000 in damage.
1995: The Rev. Jesse Jackson gives a free lecture at Northwest.
1924: Pi Omega Pi, a business honor society, installs its Beta Chapter on campus.
2004: Students begin using CatPaws to register for their fall classes. The new software replaces WebSTAR and helps streamline faculty grading procedures.
March 16 1942: The Board of Regents authorize the president to offer the Navy Department the facilities of the College for use in every way they could be used, and authorizes the dean to set up a curriculum to comply with the requirements of the Navy for training Navy personnel.
1942: The awarding of the Bachelor of Science degree is authorized.
March 17 1953: The Board of Regents makes regulations concerning registration of all automobiles driven on campus by students and employees to help control the traffic problem.
March 18 1927: The Alpha Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Sigma Sigma is the first sorority recognized and installed on campus.
1914: The Board of Regents forbids fraternities or sororities to be formed on campus and requires existing groups to be dissolved.
March 19 1996: A Quality Classroom Symposium provides Northwest faculty with informative sessions about how to use the World Wide Web. 
March 20 2013: Former head football coach Mel Tjeerdsma comes out of retirement and announces he will return to Northwest as the University’s next director of athletics.
March 21
March 22 1990: Northwest adopts a new logo.
2011: For the first time in its history, the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District convenes at Northwest. A three-member panel hears oral arguments in three cases in the Student Union Ballroom.
March 23
March 24 1924: The Board of Regents makes a resolution for the College to use a small amount of alcohol "for scientific purposes only."
March 25 1905: The bill creating the Fifth District Normal School is signed by Gov. Joseph W. Folk. It becomes a law June 16, 1905.
1980: Northwest celebrates its 75th anniversary.
March 26
March 27
March 28
March 29 1943: A motion is made by the Board of Regents to change the name of the institution to Northwest Missouri State College. (The name was not changed, however, until later.)
1948: Faculty members are allowed to enroll for classes with payment of activity and book fees.
2011: For the first time in its history, the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District convenes at Northwest. A three-member panel hears oral arguments in three cases in the Student Union Ballroom.
March 30
March 31 2004: KXCV/KRNW celebrates the grand reopening of the Warren Stucki Museum of Broadcasting on the second floor of Wells Hall in honor of the station's retired engineer.