Forever Green
Campaign for Northwest
A-Z Index

Accessibility & Accommodations

Northwest Missouri State University is committed to providing students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in the University’s programs, courses and activities. Title IX and Equity, Accessibility and Accommodations, provides learning and living accommodations at no cost to any student who has a documented disability as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. 

What is Considered a Disability?

A diagnosed disability is a condition that substantially limits "major life activity," such as walking, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, or learning. ADA laws protect:

  • Visual impairments (legally blind, progressive vision loss, etc.)
  • Deaf or hard of hearing
  • Mental/Emotional health conditions (depression, anxiety, bipolar, OCD, personality disorders, etc.)
  • Learning disabilities
  • Brain injuries, epilepsy
  • Autism, Asperger's Syndrome
  • Mobility (paraplegia, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, etc.)
  • Other (cancer, diabetes, food allergies, etc.)

If you have a documented disability that you think would qualify for a living or learning accommodation, please complete the accommodation application and provide supporting medical documentation, or contact

How to Request an Accommodation

To make a formal request for learning or living accommodation(s) to Title IX and Equity, Accessibility and Accommodations:

Students must complete and submit the fillable form below. Students must also submit separately (, supporting documentation about your disability from your health or counseling professional. For more information please see the documentation guidelines in the section Disability Documentation and Requirements.

Accommodation Application

Types of Accommodations Provided

Title IX and Equity, Accessibility and Accommodations provides a range of accommodations, including, but not limited to: 

  • Test accommodations (examples: extended time, minimal distraction, reader)
  • Early registration
  • Note taking assistance (computer usage or lecture recording)
  • Assistance with hearing (equipment is student-provided)
  • Referrals to other services and programs

Disability Documentation and Requirements

  • A supporting letter completed by a licensed professional who is knowledgeable in the field of the student's particular disability. 
  • Include a statement of diagnosis.
  • Include the length of time the licensed professional has been treating the student for the disability.
  • Include a description of the current status of the disability.
  • Relate how the student's disability affects his/her learning.
  • Include appropriate accommodations that support the disability as remedial.
  • Be dated and signed by the licensed professional on agency letterhead (prescriptions are not accepted). Letter must be sent in WORD or PDF format as an attachment when emailed.
  • Initial supporting documentation must be no older than one year.

NOTE: Supporting documentation cannot be a K-12 IEP or 504.

Title IX and Equity, Accessibility and Accommodations may request additional or more recent documentation.

Confidentiality will be maintained for all documentation related to a student's disability.

Supporting Documentation Template Download Word Document

Emotional Support Animals (ESA)

Students with an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) must complete an accommodation application, and provide documentation from a health or counseling professional prescribing the need for the ESA, and how the accommodation is remedial to the disability. If the request is approved, there will be additional documentation required from Residential Life. Emotional Support Animal requests to support a diagnosed disability should be completed and approved prior to the start of a semester if possible. 

chat loading...