A-Z Index

How To Party Safe

Having A Party?

The following are some safe choices to assist you with having a safe but cool party:

  • Serve food.
  • Make non-alcoholic beverages available and visible.
  • Keep the noise level down as much as possible.
  • Limit the number of people you invite or allow into the party.
  • Limit the number of drinks served per person.
  • Never serve alcohol to an already drunk person.
  • Help people find rides from a sober driver who has not consumed any alcohol.
  • Don't drink too much yourself so you can stay in control of your party.
  • Know the signs of alcohol poisoning and know what to do to keep friends safe.
  • Have a bartender who can monitor the number of drinks per person and the alcohol level in the drinks. If you sell alcohol or cups in order to acquire alcohol, you must have liquor license.
  • Be prepared to have overly intoxicated guests stay all night if no safe transportation is available.
  • Don't allow drinking games that encourage the over consumption of alcohol.
  • Abide by all laws so that you and your guest won't get into legal trouble.
  • Make sure your guests show an ID and are of legal age to drink.

Be a Good Neighbor

  • Get to know your neighbors.
  • Limit the number of people you invite.
  • Keep the noise level low.
  • Have guests park legally (not on lawns).
  • Clean up after a party.

Know the Law

  • Noise. No person shall willfully disturb the peace of any neighborhood, any family or any person by loud and unusual noises by an offensive or indecent conversation or by threatening, quarreling, challenging or fighting another.
  • Illegal possession of alcohol. Any person under the age of 21 who purchases, ask for or in anyway receives intoxicating liquor can be charged with a misdemeanor.
  • Use of a fake ID. Any person who is less than 21 years of age, who uses a reproduced, modified or altered license for the purpose of purchasing, asking for or in any way receiving any intoxicating liquor can be charged with a misdemeanor.
  • Open container. Any person who possesses an open container of alcohol within their vehicle could be charged with a misdemeanor.
  • Selling alcohol without a license. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell alcohol, in any quantity, without acquiring a liquor license. If you sell alcohol at or charge admission to a party, the person accepting the money could be charged with selling liquor without a license. Sentences for this violation involve up to two years in prison and/or fines of up to $1,000. If the alcohol is served to a minor the server could also be charged with supplying alcohol to a minor.
  • Driving while intoxicated. The legal limit for DWI is .08. Those under 21 could be found guilty of a Zero Tolerance violation if they are above .02. Consequences could include fines, license revocation, classes, community service and jail times, as well as misdemeanor or felony charges on one's record.
  • Indecent exposure and/or public urination. No person shall be or appear in or upon any street, avenue, alley, park, public place or place open to the public view in a state of nudity nor arrayed unbecoming to his sex or in any indecent or lewd dress, nor shall any person make any indecent exposure of his person or be guilty of any unseemly, obscene or filthy act of any lewd, indecent, immoral or insulting conduct, language or behavior.
  • Trash. Properties must be kept clear of excessive trash. A fine could result.
  • Parking. Vehicles cannot be parked at any time on grass, yellow lines, or in the roadway. Vehicles cannot block sidewalks or driveways.
  • Keg registration. All kegs will be labeled with tags that identify the place the keg was purchased from and a special identification number that identifies the person who purchased the keg. If a keg is located at place where alcohol is being distributed without proper license and/or minors are in position of alcohol , the purchaser may face criminal prosecution and civil liability.
  • Call 911 for emergencies. If you need help breaking up a party that has become out of control, it is wise to call the police and ask for assistance before they come on their own or before a neighbor has complained. The non-emergency number is 562-3209.