A-Z Index

A Guide to Event Planning at Northwest


The purpose of this guide is to assist University students and employees with event planning at Northwest. Events are most successful when they are organized well and planned in advance. The events you plan define the quality of your organization or department. They also have a direct reflection of the University and its public image.

Use of this guide will make your planning easier, less stressful and more successful. If you have questions regarding the "nuts and bolts" of planning an event, you may contact the Office of University Marketing and Communication at 660.562.1143.


The Office of University Marketing and Communication provides publicity for campus events through campus media and regional media outlets. Important information about your event should be communicated to the Office of University Marketing and Communication at least three days prior to the event for the optimal benefit of media coverage. Information received late will result in less publicity. Information for local media release may be submitted by contacting Mark Hornickel, Northwest's communication manager, at 660.562.1704.

Signage not created in the publications area of the Office of University Marketing and Communication must be approved and stamped by the Office of Student Involvement coordinator located on the second floor of the J.W. Jones Student Union in the Student Affairs Office.


Advertising may be purchased from the Northwest Missourian, The Maryville Daily Forum, KNIM Radio, KZLX Radio and other media sources. Ads may be placed in one of two ways. Contact Brandon Stanley, Northwest's assistant vice president of marketing and communication, at 660.562.1628 of your advertising requests, and the Office of University Marketing and Communication may produce the ad and place it in the media source(s) of your choice. If the organization or department has a University budget account, a signed purchase request should be submitted at the time the advertisement is ordered.

The other way to purchase advertising is to place the ad yourself. Note that it is important that you refer to the University as "Northwest" or "Northwest Missouri State University," not "NWMSU," in all advertising and publicity. Also confirm the appropriate names and spellings of campus facilities. For Northwest style rules, click here. For departmental accounts, advertising is treated as an operating expense.


Use the online project request form »

Facility Reservations

Checking the availability of a desired space will sometimes be the driving force in setting a date for your event and should always be one of your first priorities in planning. Reservations are accepted several months in advance. It should be noted, however, that the availability of some facilities is limited during certain times of the year. For example, facility space is difficult to reserve around Homecoming and near the end of each semester.

Facility reservations for rooms in the following venues are made by contacting:

Mark Hendrix, Auxiliary Services, 660.562.1420
J.W. Jones Student Union rooms
Ballroom theater-style seating: 500
Ballroom banquet: Up to 400
The Station
Centennial Garden
Memorial Bell Tower
All University classrooms
Raymond J. Courter College Park Pavilion

Nikki Hackett, Department of Fine and Performing Arts, 660.562.1326
Mary Linn Auditorium in the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts (holds approx. 1,088)
Charles Johnson Theater (holds approx. 550)
Olive DeLuce Fine Arts Building
Fire Arts Building

Kiersten Orton, Athletics, 660.562.1977
Bearcat Arena
Martindale Gym
Student Recreation Center
Bearcat Stadium
All athletic fields

Brooke Byland, Campus Recreation, Request a Space Form
Hughes Fieldhouse
Student Recreation Center
MOERA (Mozingo Outdoor Education Recreation Area)
Foster Fitness Center Room 106
Disc Golf Course

Brenda Untiedt, Office of University Advancement, 660.562.1512
Michael L. Faust Center for Alumni and Friends


If you wish for the University President to speak at your event, make your request through the President's Office at 660.562.1110, as soon as possible. Requests should be submitted at least six weeks in advance, if at all possible. It should be noted that there are times when the President is unexpectedly called out of town and, consequently, some of their appointments have to be rescheduled or canceled. The provost may speak on the President's behalf. When scheduling the University President to speak, indicate the date, time, location, what you would like them to speak about and any other pertinent information.


If your event will attract off-campus visitors to the campus, inform them of a designated parking area for their use. Contact University Police at 660.562.1254 to assist in identifying the best parking lot to use. You may obtain visitor or guest parking passes from University Police to send to the event participants. Consult University Police about parking issues at least two weeks in advance of your event. If one of your visitors receives a parking ticket that may be inappropriate, contact University Police.

Events Involving Area Schools

Some of the most complex events on the Northwest campus are contests and competitions involving students from area junior high and secondary schools. These activities are considered excellent recruitment opportunities, not only for the college or department sponsoring the activity but for the entire University as well. Therefore, the Office of Admissions should be notified of these events to allow for the preparation of an information booth, campus tours or other recruitment efforts. It also is beneficial to provide the Office of University Marketing and Communication with pre-event promotional materials and post-event results for news releases.

Buses and Other University Vehicles

University vehicles may be used both on and off campus for events. Because of limitations to the size of the bus and fleet vehicles, reservations for their use should be made at least one month in advance. Vehicles may be used for day or overnight trips as long as the rules and restrictions regarding the use of University automobiles are adhered. Call 660.562.1354 to check availability and make reservations for fleet vehicles.

Mailing Lists

Mailing lists and labels for currently enrolled students must be requested through Heather Kline in the Office of the Registrar by calling 660.562.1151. Lists involving more specific information such as hometown, grade classification, major, etc., are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.

Requests for current faculty and staff labels may be submitted to McKenna Heller in the Office of Human Resources at 660.562.1127. Indicate your preference of home or campus address.

Mailing lists and labels for entering freshmen may be requested through the Admissions Office by calling 660.562.1146.

Mailing lists for alumni and emeriti faculty can be obtained by emailing your request to Brenda Untiedt in the Office of University Advancement Office at 660.562.1248 or

Financial Matters

When charging fees for materials, meals or other items, process all monies through a University revolving account. Contact the Controller's Office at 660.562.1579 for an approved account. Specific money management procedures must be followed regarding event fees. Contact the Office of Student Account Services at 660.562.1103 for information pertaining to:

  • Wording within publicity brochures describing payment instructions to customers
  • Billing steps
  • Balancing receipts and deposits
  • Depositing receipts
  • Processing refunds to customers

Other Things to Consider

There are several people across campus that will play an important role in your event planning. Make sure to contact them and not assume that just because you have reserved a room, everything will be in place.

  • Set-up for rooms in the Student Union (table/chair placement, microphones, podium): Mark Hendrix, 660.562.1420.
  • Tables and chairs for outdoor events or locations other than the Studeny Union: Mike Striplin, 660.562.1508
  • Tables and chairs at the Pavilion and College Park: Mark Hendrix, 660.562.1420.
  • Outdoor electricity needs: Rick Allen, 660.562. 1355
  • Grounds clean-up or extra trashcans for outdoor events: Chris Redden, 660.562.1650
  • Large tent rental: Facility Services, 660.562.1183
  • Golf cart for special needs guests: Brenda Untiedt, 660.562.1248, or Facility Services, 660.562.1181
  • Portable heaters for outdoor events: Rick Allen, 660.562.1355
  • Portable sound system for outdoor events: Rick Allen, 660.562.1355
  • Musicians: Bill Richardson, 660.562.1316


You might want to consider giving a memento to guests at your event. Almost any item you can imagine can be imprinted with the University logo or name. Northwest has an imprinting promotional items contract with 4imprint. To view their online catalog to get ideas visit

To order please contact a sales representative at 4imprint to receive a quote. You may also contact purchasing for assistance in getting a quote. All orders to 4imprnt must be ordered with a purchase order.

Final Words on Planning Your Event

Remember the key to a successful program is the careful planning and organization that precedes it. Begin planning well in advance and take the time to double check on arrangements. As previously stated, the events and activities that a department or organization plan often reflect the quality of its operation.