A-Z Index

Cap and Gown

Cap and Gown

Once you have been approved as a candidate for graduation by the Registrar’s Office, you will receive an email from our commencement team with instructions for placing a cap and gown order. Emails will not be sent until the beginning of February and must be completed no later than Monday, February 26. Phone orders are not accepted. 

If you have not received commencement information by February 9th and received approval on your graduation application, contact

Cap and Gown PICKUP and return

 Graduates have three options to pick up their cap and gown.

More notes on cap and gowns:

Will I have honor cords?

Graduates who are eligible for honor cords will receive them with their cap and gown. 

Honors are based on the graduate’s Northwest and cumulative GPA the semester prior to graduation. Honors for transcripts and diplomas are adjusted after final grades have been calculated. Honors are only given to undergraduate candidates.

  • Cum Laude: 3.5 – 3.74 (white)
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.75 – 3.94 (green)
  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.95 – 4.0 (gold)

The Registrar's Office maintains the listing of graduates who have earned honors. Graduates who believe they should have received honor cords and did not should contact the Registrar’s Office at 660.562.1151.

Can I decorate my cap?

The cap is yours to keep, and you are invited to decorate your keepsake cap and show your Bearcat pride, creativity and style. The top of your cap is 9" by 9".

Make sure you look inside the cap to determine which side is the front and decorate accordingly.

Rules for decorations:

  • No vulgar language
  • No inappropriate verbiage or pictures
  • Decorations cannot obstruct the view of people behind you
  • Any cap deemed inappropriate by the University coordinator will be taken, and you will be provided a new cap

Do I get to keep my gown?

Gowns must be returned to the Student Recreation Center within 45 minutes of the conclusion of the ceremony. After that time, the doors will be locked and you are required to mail your gown to the University at your own expense.

Mail to:
Kaley Coulter
University Marketing & Communication
Northwest Missouri State University
800 University Drive
Maryville, MO 64468

If you would like to keep your gown or if your gown has not been returned within two weeks of the ceremony, your account will be charged an additional:

  • $100 for an undergraduate (bachelor's) gown
  • $125 for a graduate (master's) gown 
All other items listed are yours to keep:
  • Cap
  • Tassel
  • Diploma cover
  • Honor cords/stoles (eligible undergraduates)
  • Hood (master's/specialist degrees)

Approved Academic Honor Societies

Honor cords, other than your University GPA earned honor cords are not approved to wear at Commencement. However, your honor society can order and wear stoles as long as they are pre-approved by the Provost. 

How do I receive my stole?

If you are involved in an honor society or organization that provides stoles for graduates, you must work directly with your organization to receive them.