A-Z Index

Billing and Payments

Billing and Payment Information

Charging to Accounts

Northwest allows students to charge various items throughout campus to their University account. All miscellaneous charges are due by the 15th of the following month. Listed below are some of the items we allow to be charged to accounts.

  • Bookstore charges
  • Dining dollars (food)
  • Parking fines
  • Parking permits
  • Wellness Services charges
  • Laser printing
  • Art store charges
  • Performing Arts tickets
  • Yearbook
  • Transcript

Monthly Billing Statement

Students will receive their fall billing statement mid-July and the spring billing statement in mid-December. Full payment must be made on or before the due date to avoid finance charges.

Northwest uses a balance forward system. Any unpaid charges will appear on subsequent bills as a previous balance. Just like your MasterCard or VISA statement, charges will not be itemized a second time. Only new charges will be itemized.

Failure to pay the minimum due or make acceptable payment arrangements with the Office of Student Account Services could result in the students inability to use their meal plan and the possibility of administrative withdrawal. A series of email notifications are sent prior to any of these measures. Student fees and miscellaneous charges are billed monthly and are consolidated on the billing statement. This allows the University to send the student one monthly billing statement covering all charges including tuition, technology fees, textbook rental fees as well as room and board. The student ID card, Bearcat Card, also serves as a campus charge card. The charges are billed through one consolidated account for items such as bookstore purchases, copy charges, dining dollars, parking permits and Wellness Services charges.

Where Are Bills Sent?

The first bill of each semester will be mailed to the student's permanent address. All subsequent bills will be e-mailed to the student's University e-mail account.

If the student has granted authorization, bills are sent through the online billing system. The student will receive an email at their Northwest email address. If they have granted Additional Authorized Access, the user will receive an email notification of the new bill to which they can view online.

If the student has not granted authorization, bills are sent to the student’s permanent address unless a separate billing address is provided. This can be updated through the Payment Center.

Installment Plan (Fall 2021 - Summer 2022)

Students are encouraged to pay the total balance on or before the due date to avoid finance charges. Students will automatically be enrolled in an installment plan at the time they receive their bill. Students can view their installment amounts in the payment center.

Things to know

  • A 1% finance charge will apply to any unpaid, billed balance on the 16th of each month.
  • Financial aid and scholarships will reduce the overall balance on your account and cannot be used towards an installment payment.
  • If financial aid and/or scholarships are not authorized to your account by the due date, you will be subject to a finance charge. If a scholarship check is made payable to the student and Northwest, student endorsement will be required before it can post to the student’s account.
  • Monthly automatic withdrawal available.

View Your Installment Amount

  1. Log into the Payment Center
  2. Payment Plans tab

Direct Deposit

Students anticipating a refund can sign up for direct deposit. 

  • Enter the Payment Center by logging into CatPAWS
  • Select the Account tab
  • Select Payment Center
  • In the Payment Center, select Refunds at the top of the page
  • Select Set up account and continue through the prompts to set up your profile

Statement of Financial Responsibility

The Financial Responsibility Statement outlines the terms and conditions of the financial responsibilities and obligations associated with attending Northwest Missouri State University.

View the Statement of Financial Responsibility View PDF

Paying Your bill

Methods of Payment

In person

  • Check, cash*, debit card, credit card or money order
  • *Northwest will accept $500 per day and no more than $1,500 per semester, in cash payments, for each account holder.


  • Electronic check
  • Online debit
  • Credit card

Pay Now


  • Cashiering Office
    Northwest Missouri State University
    800 University Drive
    Maryville, MO 64468-6001
  • Be sure to include your 919#

International Wire Transfer


Northwest Missouri State University has partnered with Flywire in order to streamline the tuition payment process of international payments. Flywire allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, generally in your home currency.

By making your payment with Flywire you can:

  • Track your payments from start to finish
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates
  • Contact their multilingual customer support team with any questions, day or night

To make the payment:

  • OPTION 1: Log into your CatPAWS account and click on ‘International Tuition payment’ under the account tab OR
  • OPTION 2: Parents or other Third parties can go to to begin the payment process.

If you have questions about making an international payment visit

Northwest and Flywire Partnership Letter View PDF

Western Union

Northwest Missouri State University has chosen Western Union to give you a simple, reliable way to pay.  This allows you to pay in your home currency, either online or by bank transfer, with competitive exchange rates and takes the stress and uncertainty out of paying for your tuition.  Please transfer only the amount due on your student account to avoid payment delays.

How to make a payment:

  1. Login to the Payment Center
  2. Choose Bank Wires for domestic or international payments
  3. Select where you’re paying from and who is paying
  4. Obtain payment instructions
  5. Complete your student payment online

If you have a payment in progress and have questions or need help with a payment initiated by foreign currency, please contact Western Union Business Solutions customer support team at +1 (877) 218-8829 or +1 (402) 884-3041 or email


Northwest Missouri State University has partnered with TransferMate.

TransferMate allows you to make international payments to us for free, without paying international banking charges while receiving competitive foreign exchange rates. It allows you to pay in your local currency into a local bank account.

If you're an international student paying fees to Northwest Missouri State University you can use this secure and fast method to make your fee payments to us.

TransferMate: Click here to pay

What are the benefits?

  • Pay in your local currency to a local bank account
  • No international banking chargers from your bank
  • 24 hour online payment tracking, SMS alert and email notifications
  • 24 hour customer service support with our multi-lingual support team
  • Great exchange rates

How it works?

Pay your fees via TransferMate using a simple 3 step process:

  1. Register on the secure TransferMate payment link
  2. You'll receive a very competitive exchange rate and details our local bank account to send us the payment
  3. Once funds are received by TransferMate, these funds are immediately transferred to the university from our local bank account in the U.S

With TransferMate, rates are held for 48 hours, you can track your transaction throughout the payment process and have access to 24-7 customer support.  For assistance, contact


Dropped Class / Withdrawal

Dropped Class

  • To drop a class means to officially terminate your enrollment in a given class, but to remain enrolled in at least ONE class.
  • To withdrawal means to officially leave the University, terminating enrollment in ALL classes for the current term.
  • Important dates


  • Undergraduate withdrawals must be completed during regular office hours by contacting the Student Success Center at or call 660.562.1695.
  • Graduates wanting to withdrawal must contact the Graduate Office at or 660.562.1144 during regular office hours.
  • Refund dates
  • Housing
    • Room charges are daily pro-rated to the date of check out. An additional $200 cancellation fee will be applied to the student’s bill. After the 12th week of class, refunds are no longer available.
  • Board
    • Board/meal plan cost are $100 per week in addition to a $100 processing fee. Any unused dining dollars will be refunded.

Return of Title IV Federal Student Aid

This requirement applies to you ONLY if:

  1. You received federal student aid, and
  2. You are withdrawing prior to completing 60% of the period for which the aid was provided.

The new federal law required federal aid recipients to "earn" most of the aid they receive by staying enrolled in college at least half time. Students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester/ quarter for which they received federal student aid may be required to return some of the aid they were awarded.

The new law assumes that you used your Title IV student aid (e.g., Stafford or Perkins Loans) to pay your institutional charges -- tuition, fees, dorm room and board and certain other institutional charges -- whether you did or not. Thus, if you withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester for which you were awarded aid, a pro rata portion of your aid must be returned to the federal government.

First, the University will restore to the appropriate federal fund source a proportional share of institutional charges that you have paid. Second, if the amount returned by the University is not enough to repay the entire amount that you haven't "earned" by the length of your enrollment, you will be required to return portions of amounts that you received to pay for non-institutional charges -- books, supplies, off-campus living expenses.

Amounts that must be returned to federal aid sources, whether by the university or by you, will first be applied to your federal loans. With respect to any amount you owe after the university has paid back its share, you will be permitted to repay the loans based on the original terms of the loans - usually a ten-year repayment term after a grace period and deferments if you return to school. In addition, you may be required to restore portions of grants such as Pell and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOGs) that you have received. In the case of "unearned" portions of federally funded grants or scholarships, you will be expected to pay 50% of the "unearned" portion immediately or to make satisfactory arrangements to repay that amount.

If you are entitled to a refund from the University of amounts you paid to cover institutional charges, any refund due you will first be applied to your obligation to return "unearned" aid before you receive money back. Thus, portions of institutional refunds may be applied on your behalf to your outstanding Stafford or Perkins Loans or to the federal portions of your grants or scholarship and not actually refunded directly to you.

This policy is based on 34 CFR, Section 668.22 of Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.

1098-T, Tuition Statement

1098-T, Tuition Statement

Form 1098-T Tuition Statement

The IRS 2021 Form 1098-T is issued for each student enrolled and for whom a reportable transaction is made.

  • The IRS Form 1098-T is an information form filed with the Internal Revenue Service and reports the qualified tuition and related expenses during the 2021 calendar year.
  • Students, or the person who may be claiming the student as a dependent, may be able to take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim an education credit on Form 1040 or 1040A for the qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid during the calendar year.
  • There is NO IRS requirement that students must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming an education tax benefit is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify. The primary purpose of the IRS Form 1098-T is to let students know that Northwest Missouri State University has provided required information to the IRS to assist in determining who may be eligible to claim the tuition and fee deduction or an education credit.
  • For questions regarding IRS Form 1098-T, please contact the IRS or a tax consultant for further information. IRS Publication 970 on Tax Benefits for Education provides additional information on education credits and deductions.


Northwest Missouri State University is unable to provide individual tax advice and recommends that you seek a tax professional for tax-related questions.  It is the responsibility of the taxpayer to determine eligibility for educational tax benefits and how to calculate them. 

When is the form sent?

A hard copy will be post-marked and mailed by January 31.  An electronic copy is available in CatPAWS, under the Account tab, Tax Notification.

Who receives a Form 1098-T?

Students who are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident whose enrollment credits are leading to a post-secondary degree will receive a completed 1098-T from Northwest Missouri State University.

Amounts Paid for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses

  • Box 1 of Form 1098-T reports the qualified tuition and related expenses paid during the calendar year. For purposes of the Form 1098-T provided by Northwest Missouri State University, the following categories of charges are included or not included in qualified tuition and related expenses:
    • Qualified Tuition & Fees Included
      • Resident and Non Resident Tuition
      • Designated Fees*
      • Graduate General Fee
      • Web Course Delivery Fees
      • Blended Course Fees
      • Textbook Fee
      • Technology Fee
      • Accreditation Fees
      • Course Fees
      • KC Facility
      *Designated fees are calculated at 90% for Spring & Summer 2021 and 89% for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 (billed in 2021). Does not include the Health and Wellness Fee.
    • Not Included
      • Health and Wellness Fee
      • New Student Fee
      • Late Charges
      • Finance Charges
      • Payment Plan Enrollment Fees
      • Health Insurance Premiums
      • Room and Board Charges
      • Course Related Books and Equipment
      • Registration Fees for Non-Credit Courses
      • Parking Permit and Fines
      • PC Theft/Destruction Charges
      • Media Usage Fees
      • Athletic and Performing Arts Tickets
      • Printing/Copying Charges
      • Graduation Completion Fee
      • Student Material Charges
      • Experiential Learning Fee
  • Box 2 – Reserved
  • Box 3 – Reserved
  • Box 4 of Form 1098-T reports adjustments made to qualified tuition and related expenses reported on a prior year 1098-T in Box 2. The amount reported in Box 4 represents a reduction in tuition and fees billed during a prior calendar year. For example, if a student was billed for courses in December 2020 and withdrew from the course in January 2021, Box 4 will represent the decrease in the billed tuition and fees due to the withdrawal. The amount reported in Box 4 for adjustments to qualified tuition and related expenses may reduce any allowable education credit a student may claim for the prior year.  See IRS Form 8863 or IRS Publication 970 for more information.
  • Box 5 of Form 1098-T reports the total of scholarships or grants.
  • Box 6 of Form 1098-T reports adjustment made to scholarships or grants reported on a prior year Form 1098-T in Box 5. The amount reported in Box 6 for adjustments to scholarships or grants may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit a student may claim for the prior year.  See IRS Form 8863 or IRS Publication 970 for more information.
  • Box 7, if checked, shows whether the amount in box 1 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January -March 2022.
  • Box 8, if checked, shows whether a student is considered to have been carrying at least one-half the normal full-time workload for a course of study at Northwest Missouri State University for at least one academic year period during the calendar year.
  • Box 9, if checked, indicates whether a student is considered to be enrolled in a program leading to a graduate degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credential.

Additional Resources

Please review the Form 1098-T and Instructions for Form 1098-T for information on each box on the IRS website at

Additional information can be found on the IRS websites below:

If you have questions regarding your 1098-T, please email