Forever Green
Campaign for Northwest
Menu & Search

About Student Employment

Student employment provides students with valuable work experiences, networking opportunities with the campus and community, opportunities to expand future career choices, and much more.


Who is eligible for Student Employment?

Any student who is enrolled in at least six credit hours a semester and is eligible for employment in the United States may apply for student employment. All students must establish they are eligible for employment in the United States by the guidelines administered through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Financial need is not a factor of student employment eligibility.

How do I find a job?

  • Jobs are posted on the Student Employment Web Page as the positions become available.
  • Students are encouraged to check at least one time each week for new positions.
  • Postings are available for a minimum of three days.
  • Postings will include a description of the job, qualifications required, hours available, wage rate and the name and contact information of the supervisor.
  • Students complete an online electronic application through NEOGOV. The application is saved for future submissions and updates.

When is the best time to start looking for a job?

The best time to look for a fall position is the mid-June once SOAR dates begin. Jobs will still be posted throughout the entire year. If you are seeking employment for the spring semester, you can begin searching for a position any time in the fall semester.

What types of jobs are available?

Students work in nearly every department on campus. Approximately one-third of the positions on campus are Office Assistant positions in various departments. Other types of positions available are Library Assistants, Carpenters, Farm Assistants, Tutors, Piano Accompanists, Lab Assistants, Research Assistants, Grounds Assistants, Custodians and Computer Lab Consultants, among many others.

How many hours can I work?

You can work up to 20 hours a week during the semester and 40 hours a week during academic breaks. During the summer you can work 20 hours during the block(s) you are enrolled in a class and 40 hours during the block(s) you are not enrolled. (In order to qualify for summer student employment you must be enrolled in at least six credit hours sometime throughout the summer.)

What are the Student Employment rates?

Most positions pay the state minimum wage, currently $8.60 per hour. Other positions pay $8.70, $9.00 or $9.50 per hour. The job posting will indicate the wage rate. Students receive earnings monthly, one month after the hours are earned. Opportunities for raises are available through Career Pathing.

When is pay day?

Pay day for student employees is the 25th of every month. When the 25th of the month is on a holiday or weekend pay day is the first business day prior to the 25th of the month. All student employees have the option of direct deposit or AccelaPay card.

How many students work on campus?

There about 950 students paid each month during the fall and spring semesters and 250 during the summer.

How many on-campus jobs are allowed per student?

There is no limit on the number of positions a student can work, however, a student may not exceed a total of 20 work hours a week.

Can International students work on-campus?

Yes, international students with an F-1 visa may work on-campus and would follow the same process as a US citizen, to apply for a job.

Are there employment opportunities other than those with the Northwest Student Employment Program?

Yes, there are non-university opportunities that are posted on the website. These are positions that are within the community but not affiliated with Northwest. There are also positions available with Campus Dining and the Bearcat Bookstore on campus.

Where can I obtain assistance on my resume?

The Career Services Office is an excellent resource and will be more than willing to assist you with your resume and interviewing skills. They are located in the Administration Building office 130, or visit their site to make an appointment.

What do I do if I am offered a job?

Once you are hired for a student employment position, you must fill out the appropriate employment papers, W-4, I-9 and FERPA Statement, in the Student Employment Office. You will need to bring proper identification and employment authorization documents to complete the paperwork. You can check with your supervisor to determine what documents you will need to bring with you or refer to the on-line Orientation Part I for additional information.