A-Z Index

News Release

Dec. 3, 2020

Northwest offering winter intersession courses Dec. 15 through Jan. 8

Northwest is offering undergraduate students the opportunity to enroll in a limited selection of University courses during its winter break – Dec. 15, 2020, through Jan. 8, 2021 – as part of a new four-week intersession.

All courses during the winter intersession are offered online, and the deadline to enroll in these courses is Monday, Dec. 14. 

Continuing students may enroll for an intersession course via CatPAWS and should consult with academic advisors to discuss how coursework aligns with degree completions.

For more information, refer to the frequently asked questions and answers provided below, or contact the Student Success Center at 660.562.1695, 660.562.1726 or, or contact the Registrar’s office at 660.562.1151 or

Students should note that University offices will be closed for winter break Wednesday, Dec. 23, through Monday, Jan. 4. Any questions or requests related to intersession courses may not be answered immediately during that time.

What courses are offered during the intersession?

  • 08103 General Psychology
  • 08299 Educational Psychology
  • 45547 Grant Writing
  • 45211 Leisure in Society
  • 22214 Wellness
  • 34495 Internship in Political Science

How do I find intersession courses in CatPAWS?

  • After logging in to CatPAWS, click the student tab.
  • Click the dropdown menu on the Registration square.
  • Click Northwest Class Openings At-A-Glance.
  • In the “Select Term” dropdown menu, select Spring 2021; in the “Select Part of Term” dropdown menu, select Intersession.

What term is the intersession associated with?

Intersession is considered part of Northwest’s spring semester in relation to student billing, credit hours, financial assistance and academic standing.

Do intersession hours count toward full-time enrollment?

If a student enrolls in three credit hours during the intersession and nine during the spring 2021 semester, that student will attain full-time enrollment (12 hours).

Will I need an excess credit petition?

If a student enrolls in three credit hours during intersession and then plans to enroll in 18 hours during the spring semester, a petition for excess credit is needed. Enrollment is capped at 18 total credit hours.

If an intersession course is closed or at capacity, what steps can I take to request enrollment?

Students interested in enrolling in a course that is closed should complete an add form, which is available on the Registrar’s website at

Can I receive financial aid for an intersession course?

Financial aid is awarded and processed based on overall spring semester enrollment.

Are there financial aid implications if I drop an intersession course but remain enrolled for spring 2021?

Students should consult the Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance when making decisions related to dropping courses or withdrawing.

What are the refund dates for dropping an intersession course?

  • Monday, Dec. 14: 100 percent refund
  • Tuesday, Dec. 15: 75 percent refund
  • Wednesday, Dec. 16: 50 percent refund
  • Thursday, Dec. 17: 25 percent refund

When will I receive a bill for intersession?

Students will be emailed a bill on Monday, Dec. 14. The first payment is due Friday, Jan. 15, 2021.

What is the deadline for signing up for a spring payment plan?

Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021

Will I be required to verify for intersession?

Students do not need to verify for winter intersession. However, students will need to verify for the spring semester by Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021, which is first day of the spring semester.

Can I complete a degree with an intersession course?

Students completing degree requirements during the intersession will be considered a spring graduate. The degree will be awarded at the end of the spring semester.

When is the deadline to drop an intersession course so no grade appears on my transcript?

The last date to drop or withdrawal from an intersession course is Monday, Jan. 4.

Students enrolled in more than one class for the spring semester can drop through CatPAWS.

Students enrolled in an intersession course only must email the Student Success Center ( to request a withdrawal during the winter break. The withdrawal will be processed when Northwest offices reopens on Monday, Jan. 4, using the date of the email request as the withdrawal date.

When will intersession grades be recorded on my transcript?

Monday, Jan. 11, 2021

Will intersession grades affect my academic standing?

Academic standing will not be recalculated until the end of the spring semester. Degree Audit and CatPAWS will not reflect correct academic standing once the intersession grade is rolled.

Degree Audit shows no academic standing. CatPAWS indicates no academic standing is calculated but remains as it was at the end of the fall semester.

How does intersession coursework impact athletic compliance?

Suspensions will not change as a result of completing intersession courses. Courses can be used to complete the 24 hours required for athletes.

How is student employment impacted?

Students are eligible for student employment when they are enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours during a semester. Any enrolled student may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week.

What type of academic support is available for intersession courses?

SmartThinking will be available via Northwest Online along with a list of online resources students may visit for academic support assistance while the University is closed for winter break.

How can I pick up textbooks for intersession courses?

Textbooks must be checked out before noon on Friday, Dec. 18, from Textbook Services at the Maryville campus or Northwest-Kansas City.

Students who cannot pick up textbooks must email their 919# and a current shipping address to before Dec. 18.

Students must return intersession textbooks to Textbook Services, to Northwest-Kansas City or via shipment as soon as intersession courses are completed.


Dr. Mark Hornickel
Administration Building
Room 215