A-Z Index

Passport Information

What is a passport?

A passport is your valid identification as an US citizen. Passports are needed to enter and leave the United States and to enter and leave foreign countries. The US Department of State is the government authority that issues passports in the US. All Northwest students studying abroad are required to obtain a passport.

Passports must be valid for at least six months after program's end date. A passport will be needed when applying for a student visa (required for most study abroad programs).

Passport applications can take up to eight weeks. Without a passport, students cannot apply for a student visa. It is the students' responsibility to apply for a passport and student visa.

It is important to apply for your passport as soon as possible since the Passport Agency is behind due to high demand.

How to apply for a passport?

  1. Provide Application for Passport, Form DS-11
  2. Present Proof of Citizenship
    • Birth Certificate issued by the city, county or state
  3. Present Proof of Identity
    • Driver's license
    • Two passport size pictures
  4. Provide two passport size photos.
  5. Pay the passport fee (Adult first time applicants is: $110 + execution fee $25)

For more information, instructions and to download the application please visit: the U.S. Department of State website.

Passport applications can be obtained and submitted at:

Maryville Post Office
507 N. Fillmore
Phone: (660) 582-2751

Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
No applications accepted past 4:30 p.m.
Saturday from Saturday 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

Nodaway County Courthouse
303 N. Market
Phone: (660) 582-5431

Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
No applications accepted past 4 p.m.