A-Z Index

Future International Students


Thank you for your interest in Northwest Missouri State University. For admission questions, please email


How to Apply

Northwest Missouri State University is moderately selective, regional, public university. We offer true value with our admission-based scholarships.  To apply and find the necessary documents for admission, please visit our admissions website »



Which semester are you enrolling? Application Deadline Document Deadline
Fall (August) Trimester June 15 July 1
Spring (January) Trimester  November 1*

November 15

Summer (May) Trimester+ March 1

March 15

*Due to overwhelming demand, we are not able to accept applications for the Master of Science in Information Systems and the Master of Science in Applied Computer Science for Spring 2022 after September 30, 2021. To apply for other Master's programs, complete the application for Fall 2022 and email and to update this to Spring 2022. We apologize for this difficulty and look forward to your application.

+Summer enrollment in the Master's programs in Applied Computer Science and Information Systems is under consideration. For all other programs, students should enroll during the fall or spring semester.

Transferring to Northwest from another U.S. school?

If you are transferring to Northwest from another U.S. institution, please follow the admissions process. You will also need to submit the International Student Advisor Report View PDF as part of your admission application. If you have questions about this process, please contact our admissions office at

Early University Program (Dual Credit)

Northwest's Early University Program is designed for students who would like to complete traditional college core curriculum requirements while still in secondary school. Students can finish a college degree faster, at a significantly discounted rate, and continue to earn secondary school credit.

2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students who meet requirements are eligible to take Northwest's Early University Program classes.

Early University Program Information 

Applying for a Visa

I Got My F-1 Visa, Now What?

  • Complete the housing application through your CatPAWS account
    • Freshmen, under the age of 21, are required to live on campus for the first year
  • Complete the Health History Form View PDF and email it to the University Wellness Center at 

Entering the United States

Certificate of Eligibility

A student's Certificate of Eligibility will be the Form I-20 for students on an "F" visa. .

A Form I-20 is used to apply for a student visa in the F category. Please review your Form I-20 to ensure that the information is correct and complete using the guidelines below. If information needs to be changed or added, please contact the International Involvement Center office that issued your document.

United States Entry Procedures

F student visa holders may enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on their certificates of eligibility.

All students must arrive prior to the mandatory international orientation session. Please notify the International Involvement Center as soon as possible if you will not be able to enter the U.S. in time to attend orientation due to visa processing delays.

When you arrive in the U.S., officers from Customs and Border Protection will review your documents and ask you questions at the port of entry before they admit you into the country.

Have the following documents ready for the CBP officer to review:

  • Passport & Visa. A passport is a biographical booklet issued by a national government to its citizens to allow for travel to other countries and return to their home countries. Make sure your passport is valid and will not expire soon. The CBP officer will review your passport and student visa. He/she will then stamp your passport to indicate the date and place that you arrived in the U.S.
  • Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). The CBP officer may stamp and make a notation on this document. You must show CBP the Form I-20 for the school you plan to attend. If you applied to multiple schools in the U.S., you must show the I-20 that lists the school you actually plan to attend.

CBP has the authority to deny admission into the U.S. If you have difficulties crossing the U.S. border, please call the International Involvement Center and ask to speak with an international student adviser.

International Involvement Center
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

After business hours


Note: You might have your fingerprints taken at the U.S. border.
Note: Entry procedures are different for citizens of Canada.

What to Bring

  • Bring medications you use, including extra prescription lenses or contacts.
  • Be sure to pack light because if you forget things you can purchase them when you arrive. Refer The Study Abroad Blog for tips on packing.
  • Plan to bring clothes for at least the fall and you will want to have at least a coat or light jacket to start with. You can buy other clothing items after you arrive.
  • Be sure to include your name and new address on your bags.
  • You may want to consider bringing recipe of native foods, small souvenirs from your country, a camera, cultural clothing your favorite music, and photos from home.
  • It is recommended that you pack your valuable items and documents in a carry on flight and carry your immigration document on your person during your flight. Do NOT place your Form I-20 in your checked luggage.
  • Do not pack weapons, electrical appliances, important items that might be lost or stolen, candles or incense, animals, illegal drugs, fresh food. Refer to the Transportation Security Administration to find out what is acceptable.

Defer Attendance

If you need to request a deferral to next available intake:

  1. Email for undergraduate deferral or for graduate deferral
  2. Submit the $50 deferral fee
  3. Please allow 10-14 days for processing

Tuition & Fees

Health Insurance

Health insurance

Health care in the U.S. is a private system. To make sure you are able to cover any medical expenses and satisfy legal requirements, Northwest Missouri State University requires all international students to purchase LewerMark Student Medical Insurance, provided through the University.

Enrollment in LewerMark Student Medical Insurance is for the fall semester from August 15 through December 31; enrollment for the spring/summer semester is from January 1 through August 14. Dental and vision insurance are not included in the medical insurance. Students who want to purchase dental and/or vision insurance can do so at for an additional cost.

For more information about LewerMark Student Medical Insurance, to print your ID card or to find a doctor in the area, view the LewerMark International Student Health Insurance Plan Brochure 

For information about how LewerMark Student Insurance covers COVID-19, please go to

Enrollment and Billing

International students will be automatically enrolled in the mandatory insurance plan when they register for any number of credit hours and will be charged for the coverage on their Northwest student account.


Northwest has a "hard-waiver" policy that strictly limits waivers of the mandatory insurance enrollment for international students. Only the following exceptions are allowed.

  • Students participating in the ISEP exchange program
  • Short term non-degree programs,
  • Government sponsored students (i.e. SACM or Fulbright)

To successfully request a waiver of the Northwest-sourced medical insurance, a student must meet one of the above requirements. If you do, submit a request for an insurance waiver, with supporting documentation to the International Involvement Center.

Airport Shuttle

International Student Arrival

Thursday, January 6, 2022

  • Airport Shuttle Reservation can be made through the Pre-Arrival Orientation that is emailed to students who have received their visa 
  • SHUTTLE SIGN-UP DEADLINE: 5:00 PM on Friday, December 31, 2021 
  • Students who do NOT make a reservation will wait until there is an available seat.
  • Students who make a reservation, do not use the shuttle, AND do not notify University officials will be charged $25.

Students arriving on other dates will be responsible for arranging their own transportation, at their own expense. The airport is 125 kilometers from the University. 

Local transportation providers: 

  • Yates Limo Service at a rate of $135 cash payable at the time of pick up. This service can be arranged by calling +1.816.364.3407 or by emailing
  • Northwest Taxi is $100-$125, payable in cash at the time of service, depending on the number of passengers. This service can be arranged by calling +1.660.254.2958 or by emailing
  • A list of shuttle providers can be found at

International Student Orientation

The International Involvement Center provides a mandatory orientation program to give new international students essential information for their time at Northwest. Students are required to check in with the International Involvement Center and attend the International Student Orientation. Students will be required to complete the check-in, orientation, and the health screening at the University Wellness Center before attending in-person classes.

International Student Orientation Schedules

International Student Orientation will take place from January 7 - 11, 2022. Schedules coming soon...

Mandatory International Student Health Screenings

All new international students will complete a health screening at the University Wellness Center. You are required to bring your immunization records or completed Physician Letter and your health history forms to the screening if you have not already sent them to

Freshmen Assessments for Course Placement

All freshmen are required to complete the math placement exam and writing challenge prior to enrollment. There is no fee or registration to take the assessments. These assessments help us determine your proficiency to ensure you are placed in the appropriate course level. These assessments are available to accepted freshmen through Northwest Online.

Additional Resources

Campus Resources

University Break

Please note: Additional housing charges will be added to your student account if you stay in the residence hall during college breaks, as classes are not in session. Campus dining facilities are closed during these break times so students should plan accordingly, in advance. These breaks include the following:

Fall Break: During the American holiday of Thanksgiving in November
Semester Break: Mid-December through the first part of January
Spring Break: During March or April

Frequently Asked Questions


What are the admission requirements?

Please refer to the Office of Admissions website.

How do I pay the application fee?

The application fee is payable here.

How can I change my major after I have applied?

Email the Office of Admissions for major changes at

Is WES evaluation required for transcripts?

No, we process transcripts in house.

How long will it take to receive my I-20?

After you are accepted, please allow 7-10 days.

What is the criteria to apply for a master's program?

Admission requirements for graduate school can be found here.

Is the SAT/ACT required for admission? What about the TOEFL or IELTS exam?

Specific admission criteria can be found on the Admissions website.

I don't have the official transcript right now. Is it possible to send the unofficial transcript and send the official after acceptance?

An admission decision can be made using your unofficial transcript and individual mark sheets. However, to complete your admission record, you must submit an official transcript and individual marks sheets directly from the issuing institution in a sealed (glued shut) envelope.

Are a personal essay and recommendation letters required for admission?

No, a personal essay and letters of recommendation are not needed.

Can the bank statement be sent electronically or is the original needed?

We will accept a scanned copy.

Do I need to submit an affidavit of support if the bank statement is in my name?

No. If you are sponsoring your own education, and the bank statement is in your name, an affidavit of support is not needed.

Do the bank statement and statement have to be submitted before receiving an admit?

The Office of Admissions can process your application for admission without the financial documents. However, the International Involvement Center cannot create your Form I-20 until the financial documentation is received. It is preferred that you send it with your application for admission to avoid delays in processing.

Do you offer summer classes?

Yes. Northwest operates on a trimester system, but summer classes are not required.

How many foreign language credits are need to graduate from Northwest?

A foreign language is not required unless you are a bachelor of arts student.

Can I know the tuition and fees to attend Northwest?

Tuition and fees are located on the Office of Student Account Services website.

How can I get an F-2 visa for my spouse/child?

Information about bringing a dependent can be found here.

What is the SEVIS school code?

The Northwest Missouri State University school code is KAN214F00394000.

Where do I find my 919#?

Undergraduate students can find their 919# on their acceptance letter, signed by Tamera Grow, in the top, right-hand corner. Graduate students will receive an email at the time of acceptance, with an attachment, that includes the 919#.

Can I transfer from another university to Northwest Missouri State University before I report to that University?

For the first entry for initial school attendance, the school listed on the visa and the Form I-20 must be the same, and that should be the school the student plans to study at. Students must report to the school for which they have a visa (in person or via e-mail, telephone and/or fax). If a student decided to transfer after arriving in the United States, the student must provide written verification of acceptance at Northwest to their school.


Can I live off campus?

Freshmen must live in on-campus residence halls unless they are married or are commuting from their parent's primary residence. Students who have attained sophomore status (30 academic hours) or who are at least 21 years of age are eligible to live in housing of their own choice.

Is it compulsory to live on campus?

Freshmen must live in on-campus residence halls unless they are married or are commuting from their parent's primary residence. Students who have attained sophomore status (30 academic hours) or who are at least 21 years of age are eligible to live in housing of their own choice.

Health & Wellness

What vaccinations do I need?

Students should have two doses of MMR and one dose of Meningitis vaccination prior to arrival. Students should complete the health history forms, TB screening form, and immunization records/physician letter prior to arrival.

Do I have to purchase health insurance?

Northwest Missouri State University requires all international students to purchase LewerMark Student Medical Insurance, provided through the University.

Scholarships & Financial Assistance

What scholarships are available for undergraduate students?

Scholarship information is available through the Office of Admissions website.

Are there scholarships available to transfer students?

Yes, scholarships are available to transfer students who meet the necessary criteria.

If I meet the requirements for the Northwest International Achievement Scholarship it is awarded automatically or is there a limited number of scholarships? Can I qualify for more than one scholarship?

The Northwest International Achievement Scholarship (NIAS) is automatically awarded to student who meet the criteria. There is not a limited number of scholarships. Students who have qualifying SAT/ACT scores can earn an additional scholarship.

Can I know about scholarships available to graduate students?

The International Graduate Achievement Scholarship is $1,000 award that is applied towards a student's first semester tuition (roughly 20% discount). The scholarship is a one-time award.

The Graduate Non-Resident Waiver is available to full-time, degree seeking non-resident or international graduate-level students. Students will earn the value of the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition after completing their first (full-time) semester at Northwest and earning a minimum cumulative Northwest graduate GPA of 3.30. Students must maintain continuous full-time enrollment in order to renew the waiver for the future semester. This is an automatic waiver that will be applied to the student's account. There is no application required to be considered for this waiver. Full details about this can be found on the Office of Admissions webpage.

Computing Support

  • Online
  • Phone/Email: Information Technology-Client Computing Help Desk at 660.562.1634

Email Access

Northwest Missouri State University provides email services to faculty, staff and students.

Access Northwest Email

Northwest provides electronic mail services to faculty and staff through an in-house Microsoft Exchange service. While students have a separate email service through Microsoft’s Office 365 cloud service.


The Cat Personal Access to Web Services program (CatPAWS) is a web-based program that allows students to enroll in classes, drop or add classes, and view their bill. CatPAWS can be accessed either from the Quick Tools drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Access CatPAWS

  • Accessing
  • Logging on
  • Forgot PIN
  • Enrollment Verification
  • Changing Personal Information
  • Student Services/Financial Aid
    • Add/drop courses
    • Course Schedule
    • Paying bill
    • Checking grades


myNorthwest is a web portal that provides a number of services designed to help students, faculty and staff interact more effectively with Northwest resources, including:

Access myNorthwest

  • Northwest Online - access to your online course site.
  • Email - myNorthwest provides a link to your Web-based e-mail.
  • University Calendar - myNorthwest provides a link to the University's Calendar of Events.
  • Group Studio - Create online groups containing resources like photo albums, Internet links, news articles and applications like message boards and chat rooms.
  • Administrative Services - myNorthwest allows you access to various administrative services such as the ability to check grades, register for classes, change the personal information that your institution maintains about you, etc.

myNorthwest allows you to customize your user layout to add, remove and rearrange channels. Every time you log into myNorthwest, your tab and channel preferences are preserved.

To get on to the myNorthwest web portal, login with your Northwest username and password from the Bearcat Login page.

A how-to-guide of basic myNorthwest features and how to access those features:

  • myNorthwest Web Portal View PDF

Degree Audit

DegreeWorks is a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor student progress toward degree completion. Degree Audit combines Northwest Missouri State University's degree requirements and the coursework you have completed with an easy-to-read worksheet that helps you see how courses that you have completed count toward degree requirements, and what courses and requirements you still need to complete. Degree Audit can be accessed through your myNorthwest account. 

Read more about Degree Audit program »

Northwest Online

Northwest Online is an online extension of Northwest Missouri State University that offers courses and degrees through the Internet.

Access Northwest Online

All online courses are offered through Northwest Online. Additionally, some onsite courses offer course material through Northwest Online.

chat loading...