This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University


Buildings at Northwest

(Updated Sept. 25, 2017)

This listing contains the proper names and some history of most facilities and buildings on the Northwest campus. For an interactive map that includes a complete listing and the locations of buildings at Northwest, click here.  

Administration
Building

Built in 1907-1910, this Tudor Gothic structure with its four towers is the landmark of the campus and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. In 1979, a fire destroyed the north wing, which contained the Deerwester Theater, and the west wing, which is largely restored. In addition, the entire second floor has been extensively renovated. This historic building houses the offices of Admissions, Career Services, the Registrar, Scholarships and Financial Assistance, Human Resources, and University Marketing and Communication as well as the graduate school, and various administrative and student services offices. The third floor includes classrooms and a laboratory for students enrolled in foods and nutrition courses.  

Alumni House

Located on College Avenue, the Federal-style structure is owned by the non-profit Northwest Foundation, and its offices are leased to the Office of University Advancement, which includes alumni relations and Development. The building was purchased by the Foundation in 1980 after a loyal group of alumni brought together their combined vision and resources to challenge all Bearcat alumni and friends to secure a permanent home for alumni activities and services.

Athletic Grounds Support Building

The Athletic Grounds Support Building, constructed in 2006‐2007, is located west of the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts. It houses athletic field equipment, paint supplies, lawn equipment and employee support functions.

B.D. Owens Library

Named for the eighth president of the University, this limestone and glass structure opened in 1983. With more than 100,000 square feet of space, Owens Library is designed to meet the library needs of the University well into the future, and to accommodate technological advances in information retrieval systems. Owens Library offers a multitude of web-based databases, group and private study spaces, and comfortable seating arranged throughout the open stacks. The building also features a Starbucks store within the library's first floor Novel Grounds area.

Bearcat Arena

The home of the Northwest men's and women's basketball programs and Bearcat volleyball program, Bearcat Arena has a seating capacity of 2,500 spectators. The facility also houses University commencement ceremonies and professional concerts as well as the practice facilities for the indoor track and field teams. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Bearcat Baseball Field

Bearcat Baseball Field is the home of the Bearcat baseball team and is located on the west side of campus. It has a grass infield, scoreboard and press box facility. Originally constructed in 1968, the field has a seating capacity of 500. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Bearcat Bookstore

Located on the second floor of the J.W. Jones Student Union, the bookstore sells a variety of Northwest merchandise in addition to books and supplies. The bookstore is managed by Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.

Bearcat Commons

Bearcat Commons is a dining facility on the first floor of the Student Union. It consists of a Mediterranean kitchen offering pizza and pasta, produce market and deli, all-American grill, Tex Mex cuisine, bakery, Mongolian grill and exhibition stations.

Bearcat Pitch

The home of Northwest women's soccer, Bearcat Pitch was constructed in 1999 for the inaugural season of Bearcat soccer. The facility can seat 600 and features a weather-protected press box with a full sound system. Bearcat Pitch also includes weather-protected team areas and benches.

Bearcat Softball Field

The softball field was constructed in 1996 near Phillips Hall on the west side of campus. Home to the Bearcat softball team, the dirt infield is made from aqualime, a textured soil that allows moisture to go through the ground. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Bearcat Stadium

The home of Bearcat football, the stadium offers permanent seating for 6,200 fans and a total capacity of 7,500. The playing surface is known as Mel Tjeerdsma Field, and the track that encircles the field is called Herschel Neil Track.

Opened in 1917, it is the the longest-running continuous site for football in all of NCAA Division II. The stadium underwent extensive renovations between 2000 and 2003, and in 2004 its name was changed from Rickenbrode Stadium. In 2007, the natural playing surface was changed to turf and lights were added. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Botany Lab

 

Dean L. Hubbard Center for Innovation

Completed in 2009 and located at the north end of the Northwest campus, the Hubbard Center was built as a high-technology business incubator with classroom and laboratory space to accommodate coursework related to the natural sciences. The facility was named in honor of Northwest's ninth president, Dr. Dean L. Hubbard, in 2014. In 2017, the Hubbard Center's business incubation wing was renovated and became the home of the School of Agricultural Sciences.

Charles Johnson
Theater

The 549-seat Charles Johnson Theater, housed inside the Olive DeLuce Fine Arts Building, is named for the first chair of the Spring Festival of the Arts, which evolved into the University's Encore performances series.

Colden Hall

Completed in 1959, this V-shaped structure is named for Charles J. Colden, the first president of the Board of Regents. Renovated in 1996-97, it contains classrooms and offices for the School of Health Science and Wellness; School of Business; Department of Language, Literature and Writing; and School of Computer Science and Information Systems.

Colden Pond

Colden Pond is located on the south portion of campus, near Colden Hall and the Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza. It was originally called Lamkin Lake after Northwest President Uel Lamkin, who led Northwest from 1921 to 1945, and was inspired to construct the water feature. The pond quickly became known as Lamkin's Folly during its early days because it would not retain water. After the problem was resolved, the pond was stocked with fish and became a pleasant oasis for the campus community. In the 2000s, Colden Pond underwent renovations to expand and deepen it to create a better environment for fish and prevent the growth of algae.

College Park

Located west of the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts, College Park hosts a variety of University and community gatherings throughout the year, including Bearcat Zone tailgate activities prior to each home football game. It includes the Raymond J. Courter College Park Pavillion.  

Dieterich Hall

Named for H.R. Dieterich, this seven-story residence hall is located on the northwest side of campus. (For more information about this facility, click here.)

Ed Phillips Rodeo Arena

 

Everett W. Brown
Education Hall

Located across from the J.W. Jones Student Union, this Neo-Gothic structure was renovated in 1987 and is named for Everett W. Brown, an alumnus, long-time staff member and eight-term member of the Missouri House of Representatives. Built in 1939, Brown Hall houses the School of Education in addition to the Horace Mann Laboratory School and the Phyllis and Richard Leet Center for Children and Families. 

Facility Services Maintenance Shop

Located on the northwest corner of the campus, Facility Services is responsible for maintaining all buildings, infrastructure and related utility services on Northwest’s 370-acre campus as well as the R.T. Wright Farm. On a day-to-day basis the maintenance teams operate, repair and maintain the University academic and classroom facilities, residence halls and support buildings. This includes responding to after-hours emergency service calls when necessary.

Facility Services Building

Completed in 2008-2009, the building is home to Facility Services administrative offices including the facility services director, associate director of facility services and energy manager. These offices provide support for all Facility Services departments as well as quality customer service for other Northwest departments, employees and students on a daily basis.

Fire Arts Building

Completed in 2004, this triangular structure is located south of the Olive DeLuce Fine Arts Building. It houses ceramics, sculpture and wielding programs. The building also is equipped with a variety of sophisticated safety, fire prevention and ventilation systems.

Franken Hall

Named for Katherine Franken, psychology faculty, this seven-story coed residence hall is located on the northwest side of campus. (For more information about this facility, click here.)

Frank W. Grube
Tennis Courts

The Frank W. Grube Tennis Courts, completed in 1981, are named after the long‐time Department of English chair and first varsity tennis coach at the University. The space was expanded in 2017 from four courts to six.

Forest Village Apartments

Forest Village A, B and C were completed in 2004 and are located on the north side of the campus. The complex contains a community building providing lounges and meeting facilities for apartment residents, a convenience store, mailboxes and residential life staff offices. The apartments are fully furnished; consist of two‐ and four‐bedroom styles; include a living room, storage closets and a small kitchen and dining space. These units also contain washer, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, stove and cable TV. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Garrett-Strong
Science Building

This building, located north of the Administration Building, honors two former department chairs: William T. Garrett, of the former Department of Biological Sciences; and J. Gordon Strong, of the former Department of Chemistry and Physics. Completed in 1968 and renovated in 2000-2001, Garrett-Strong contains laboratories, large lecture halls and classrooms, while housing the Department of Natural Sciences.

Hardscape/Recycling Pellet Plant

 

Herschel Neil Track

The track encircles Mel Tjeerdsma Field at Bearcat Stadium and is named after the Bearcat track and field standout of the 1930s. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Horticultural Complex

 

Hudson and Perrin
Residence Halls

This structure, which houses nearly 500 first-year students, is named for the first woman registrar, Nell Hudson, and the first dean of women, Alice R. Perrin. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Jon T. Rickman Electronic Campus Support Center

The Jon T. Rickman Electronic Campus Support Center (ECSC), which is located across from Bearcat Baseball Field and the B.D. Owens Library provides free support services to Northwest students and employees who have been issued a University-owned notebook computer or tablet. The building was built in 1951 and was formerly the Missouri National Guard Armory. (For more information about the ECSC, click here.)

Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza

The Joyce and Harvey White International Plaza was constructed in 1998 as a tribute to Northwest's global enrollment. The Plaza, which is a symbol of good will and peace, features the international flags of currently enrolled Northwest students as well as a display of five clocks showing the time in Maryville and four other regions. (For more information about the International Plaza, click here.)

J.W. Jones
Student Union

The opening of this structure in 1952 fulfilled a long-time dream of J.W. Jones, the sixth president of the University. A renovation and addition completed in 1999 more than doubled the size of the building. The building's dining facilities underwent a complete remodel during the summer of 2013 to add national brands such as Einstein Bros. Bagels and Chick-fil-A, along with added conveniences for students.

The J.W. Jones Student Union, or Student Union on second reference, is a split-level structure with three floors. The basement is commonly referred to as the first floor, and the "ground floor," as accessed from the east union plaza, is commonly called the second floor.

The building houses the offices of Student Involvement, Student Affairs and Campus Dining as well as the Student Engagement Center, International Programs and the Bearcat Bookstore. Dining areas in the Student Union are The Jones on the second floor and Bearcat Commons on the first floor.

Named facilities inside the Student Union take initial capitals: the First Ladies Dining Room, the Living Room, the Boardroom, the Ballroom, the Tower View Room. Designations such as meeting room A or B are so expressed.

For more information about the Student Union, click here.

Lamkin Activity Center

Named for the University's fifth president, Uel W. Lamkin, this facility opened in 1959 and underwent a renovation and expansion in 1993-1994. It includes Bearcat Arena, the Student Recreation Center and the Foster Fitness Center as well as offices, classrooms and other facilities comprising the Department of Athletics. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Landscape Zone Shop

Erected between 2000 and 2005, the facility includes offices, a greenhouse and equipment for the University's landscape services.

Larry and Velma
Ehlert Bull Test
Station

Named after the contributor who made the station possible, the facility contains the Bull Test Station and the University Student Rodeo Arena, both directed by the School of Agricultural Sciences. It is located at the R.T. Wright University Farm.

Mabel Cook
Recruiting and
Visitors Center

Located at the southeast entrance to campus, the center is named for a graduate of the former Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, who later served on the faculty and chaired the department. The building serves as a visitors center and contains offices for admissions personnel.

Materials Distribution Center

The Materials Distribution Center, built in 2002, is the warehouse facility that houses Central Receiving, Central Stores, the moving crew, and is the site for the University's surplus auctions.

Martindale Hall

Home to the School of Health Science and Wellness, this building contains classrooms, faculty offices, a dance studio and Martindale Gymnasium, which formerly was the home of Bearcat basketball. The building, which opened in 1926, was remodeled between 1973 and 1975. It is named after Nell Martindale Kuchs, who, beginning in the 1920s, was instrumental in developing the women's physical education program at Northwest. 

Mary Linn Auditorium

The main performance space in the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts located on the southwest side of campus, Mary Linn opened in 1984. Mary Casteel Linn was a regent and dedicated patron of the arts. The 1,099-seat theater can accommodate a full symphony orchestra and Broadway-style stage productions.

Maryville Community Center/National Guard Armory

 

McKemy Center for Lifelong Learning

Located north of the Garrett‐Strong Science Building, this structure was completed in 1977 and named after Alfred McKemy, a former member and president of the Board of Regents. Renovated in 1999, the facility provides offices for the Outreach Education, the Regional Professional Development Center, the Missouri Assessment Program, and the Alternative Certification Program. These programs are focused primarily on constituencies at varying distance from campus. Contained within are one distance learning classroom and one room for teleconferencing.

Mel Tjeerdsma Field

The football field, but not the stadium, was renamed in 2007 in honor of Mel Tjeerdsma, who led the football team from 1994 to 2010. Herschel Neil Track, which encircles the field, is named after the Bearcat track and field standout of the 1930s. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Memorial Bell Tower

Completed in 1971, this 100-foot structure dominates the central campus. The tower was constructed from funds donated by University friends and alumni and features brass memorial plaques and an electronic carillon. It underwent renovations in 1989 and 2004.

Millikan Hall

Named for Chloe Millikan, education faculty, this seven-story residence hall is located on the northwest side of campus. (For more information about this facility, click here.)

Mozingo Outdoor Education Recreation Area (MOERA)

A 315‐acre rural lake front tract of land located at Mozingo Lake, MOERA is designed for student and community education/recreation activities. Facilities include a challenge course consisting of an Alpine tower, Carolina climbing wall, and group dynamics low element obstacle stations; courtesy dock; a trap skeet range that may be used for target archery; a biology research area; a small astronomy observatory and outdoor telescope viewing area; and
storage buildings. A mixture of walking trails and gravel roads exist throughout the acreage. (For more information about the facility, click here.)

North Complex

This structure contains Cooper Hall (for Albert H. Cooper, director of extension), Douglas Hall (for former Regent R.L. Douglas), and Tower Hall. North Complex also houses the Missouri Academy of Science, Mathematics and Computing.

Olive DeLuce Fine
Arts Building

Located on the south side of campus, this circular structure was dedicated in 1965 and honors the long‐time faculty member and nationally‐recognized leader in art education, Olive DeLuce. DeLuce contains studios, the Olive DeLuce Art Gallery, classrooms, rehearsal rooms, and offices for the Department of Fine and Performing Arts. The 549‐seat Charles Johnson Theater, housed in the building, is named for the first chairman of the Spring Festival of the Arts, which evolved into the year‐long Northwest Encore performance series.

Phillips Hall

One of the seven-story residence halls on the northwest side of campus. (For more information about this facility, click here.)

Power Plant/Chiller Plant

 

Practice Fields

 

Raymond J. Courter College Park
Pavilion

Located in College Park across the street and to the west of the Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts, this outdoor performance and presentation space is named for the long-time vice president for finance and support services who retired in 2009. It consists of a roofed stage and hookups for lighting and sound. Use College Park Pavilion on second reference. 

Robert and Virginia Foster Fitness Center

Opened Aug. 31, 2015, the Foster Fitness Center consists of 19,490 square feet of open floor space to accommodate cardio and weight lifting machines, a human performance lab and classroom space. The facility houses a group exercise room and a 2,300-square-foot mezzanine with cardio equipment and windows that provide natural lighting in the facility. It includes locker rooms and an enclosed walkway connecting the Student Recreation Center for added convenience.

The Anita Aldrich Human Performance Lab inside the Foster Fitness Center is named for Dr. Anita Aldrich, 1936 Northwest graduate who dedicated herself to health, physical education and recreation education. During a career spanning 47 years, she served as a teacher and administrator of physical education programs in King City, St. Joseph and Kansas City, Mo., and at Indiana University. She was appointed in 1961 as an advisor to President John F. Kennedy’s Fitness Council and served as president during 1962-1963 of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education and Recreation to which she was later named an honor fellow.

The building initially opened in 1981 as the 15,000-square-foot Robert P. Foster Aquatic Center, which was closed in 2012.

Roberta Hall

Roberta Hall, which provides housing for members of Northwest's social sororities, is named for Roberta Steel, who lost her life after a 1951 explosion and fire that heavily damaged the building. Roberta Hall was completely remodeled in 1993-94. (For more information about this facility, click here.)

Ron Houston Center for the Performing Arts

Completed in 1984, the Ron Houston (pronounced HOUSE-ton) Center for the Performing Arts contains Mary Linn Auditorium, the Studio Theatre and other facilities related to the dramatic arts, including a black box performance space, classroom, scene shop, costume shop, green room and faculty offices. Ron Houston Center or Houston Center are acceptable on second reference.

R.T. Wright
Farm

The University's 448-acre crop and livestock operation is located three miles north of Maryville, at Highway 71 and Icon Road. Named after a former chair of the School of Agricultural Sciences, the farm provides farm management experience and a hands-on laboratory for students in the department.

Ryland Milner Complex

The complex comprises Lamkin Activity Center, Bearcat Arena, the Student Recreation Center, Martindale Hall and the Frank W. Grube Tennis Courts. It is named for long-time coach, athletic director and alumnus Ryland Milner.

South Complex

This residence hall contains Wilson Hall (for Lon Wilson, dean of men), Richardson Hall (for fourth University president Ira Richardson), and Cook Hall (for T.H. Cook, history faculty). (For more information about the facility, click here.)

Support Services Building

Completed in 2014 and located adjacent to the Materials Distribution Center, this building houses the University Police Department and the Purchasing Department.

University Police consists of two divisions: University Police, and Parking and Traffic Services. The department employees state-commissioned police officers, full-time dispatchers and student employees.

Purchasing provides for procurement of materials and services for both our internal and external customers.

The Station

Opened in 1966 as Taylor Commons dining hall and known for a period as The Conference Center, this facility on the northwest side of campus contains lounges, meeting rooms, study areas, a convenience store and Textbook Services.

Studio Theatre

 

Student Recreation Center

Built in 1993-1994 as part of the expansion of the Lamkin Activity Center, the Rec Center, as it is commonly known, includes three basketball courts, five racquetball/handball courts and a suspended track. 

Thomas
Gaunt House

Located across from the Alumni House on the south end of campus, the Gaunt House was constructed in 1870. The Classical Revival structure has been the home of University presidents since the founding of the institution in 1905. The house was constructed by a retired sea captain whose tree nursery was located on what is now the main campus, and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

Thompson-Ringold Building

This building, located north of Wells Hall, was built in 1931 to house industrial arts programs. Both Kenneth Thompson and Howard Ringold were long-time faculty members of that department, which no longer exists.

In addition to academic classrooms, Thompson-Ringold houses the Mail/Copy Center.

Tower Suites

Tower Suites, completed for the fall of 2004, is located on the west side of campus near the high-rise residence halls and The Station. These residence halls provide upper class students with advanced housing options. Sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students can choose to live in the suite-style buildings. (For more information about this facility, click here.)

Transportation Shop

The Transportation Shop consists of a supervisor, a mechanic and five drivers. The supervisor and mechanic are responsible for maintaining all campus vehicles which include the rental fleet, buses, semis and even golf carts.

University Greenhouse

 

Valk Center

Completed in 1970 and named for Donald N. Valk, long-time chair of the former Department of Technology, the building became the home of the University's agriculture program in 1993. Facilities include faculty offices, lecture rooms, laboratories and an agriculture museum.

In the summer of 2008, the lower level of Valk was remodeled to serve as the new home the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences. Lower-level classrooms opened in fall 2008 and faculty offices were completed in 2009.

Wellness Center

This facility houses student medical facilities, the Personal Development and Counseling Services and other health and wellness-related offices known as Wellness Services.

Wells Hall

Dedicated in 1939 as the University library, Wells Hall is named for the University's first librarian, Edwin C. Wells. Since the opening of Owens Library, Wells houses the School of Communication and Mass Media and the English as a Second Language Program. It also houses Northwest's student media, which include KZLX‐LP‐FM, KNWT‐TV, The Northwest Missourian newspaper and Tower yearbook. Northwest's National Public Radio affiliate, KXCV/KRNW‐FM, is housed on the second floor of the building.