Menu & Search

Financial Aid, Scholarships and Grants

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Rights (FERPA) is a law that protects the confidentiality of student records in an academic environment. If you require financial assistance during your semester abroad you will need to take the initiative and maintain communication with the financial office. The Study Abroad Office does not have access to financially sensitive information. This includes requesting advances, applications, scholarships and grants etc. It is the student's responsibility to initiate contact with a Financial Assistance Counselor. You can visit their office, call or email to schedule an appointment. 

Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance
Administration Building, 2nd Floor 273
Tel. 660.562.1363

Office Hours
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday

All students require a Study Abroad estimate prior to meeting with the Financial Assistance Office. 

Financial Aid | Payment Types by Programs | Scholarships

Financial Aid

If the student is eligible for financial aid during his/her semester program or faculty led program, the Study Abroad Office will issue a budget of total costs for the entire program; the budget will be catered to meet the student's individual requirements. It will comprise of several items including transportation and airfare to traveling expenses and meals.

This budget will be submitted to the Financial Assistance office to calculate the amount of aid available for the student. The student may or may not get financial aid that covers the budget suggested by the Study Abroad Office. This depends on calculations and eligibility of the student and the family income as reported to the IRS and though FAFSA.


  1. VISIT the Study Abroad Office and choose program(s) of interest. Program estimates will be provided to you
  2. VISIT the Financial Assistance Office with program estimates
  3. A Financial Assistance Counselor will MEET with you and talk about your financial aid eligibility
  4. APPLY to Study Abroad Program of choice
  5. If ACCEPTED, a decision letter and a final budget will be issued by the Study Abroad Office
  6. COMMIT to participate in your Study Abroad Program
  7. A FINAL budget will be sent to the financial assistance office along with your study abroad program information.
  8. The Study Abroad Office will ENROLL you in Study Abroad courses
  9. Financial Aid will issue and UPDATE your award letter reflecting Study Abroad program expenses.
  10. ACCESS and transact your financial aid award letter via CatPaws.

Payment Types by Programs

Reciprocal - even exchange

Magellan Tuition paid to Northwest, housing paid abroad
Mexico - ITESM, UDEM, UR, ITESO Tuition paid to Northwest, housing paid abroad (on-campus, off-campus, and host family available)
ISEP Exchange (E*) Tuition and room/board paid to Northwest
ASIA Programs Tuition paid to Northwest, housing paid abroad. 
EUROPA Programs Tuition paid to Northwest, housing paid abroad
International Student Teaching Tuition paid to Northwest, housing paid abroad
Faculty Led Programs Tuition paid to Northwest + Program fee to cover travel expenses 
International Internships Tuition paid to Northwest + Program fee to set up internship abroad 

Direct - fee set by university abroad OR Program Provider

ISEP Direct ISEP-direct fee includes tuition and room/board
ISA ISA Program Fees include tuition and housing (meals included in some ISA programs) 
MOCON Programs

Tuition and Housing paid to MOCON partner institution. Meals not included


API Program Fees include tuition and housing (meals included in some API programs)

chat loading...