Forever Green
Campaign for Northwest
A-Z Index

Changing Courses While Abroad

Once grade completion forms are approved by Northwest professors, students are discouraged to change courses. However, if unforeseen circumstances take place, such as class being cancelled, professor got sick, low enrollments, etc.; students will be permitted to change courses and change grade completion forms.

It is the student's responsibility to seek course approval IF and WHEN a course changes.

The process for changing grade completion forms will be the same as what you followed prior your departure, this time it will be done by email communication.
Once a course is approved, the Study Abroad Office will send a new grade completion form for the NW professor to sign and we will keep it in your file to be processed once we receive your transcript.


  1. Select a new course from yourhost institution and obtain a course description for the course.
  2. Revise the Northwest Catalog to see what Northwest course is equivalent to the one from your host institution.
  3. Access the CatPaws course schedule to see who the Northwest professor who teaches the class is. If the class is not being taught that same semester, contact the chair person from that department (contact information listed below)
  4. Send the new course description by e-mail to the Northwest chair or Northwest professor who would be transferring the class, and request authorization to transfer the course as a Northwest course. Explain why you are emailing instead of doing this prior to departure. Professors are used to dealing with this type of cases in person; they need clarification as to what happened with your enrollment and why it changed. Explain how time sensitive this is, and why you need a prompt response from him/her.
  5. Once the professor approves the course let the professor know that the Study Abroad Office will be sending documents for him/her to sign
    You need to send an email to with the following information:

Subject line: Course enrollment changed - request for new grade completion
Text: My enrollment changed. Professor: name and last name has agreed to transfer the following:
Name of the course abroad: ____________ # of credits: ____________
Northwest course number: ______________ Northwest course title: __________
Northwest credits: __________

**If a course is not approved you will have to select another course at your host institution and start this process all over.


Department Chairs and School Directors

Agricultural Sciences
Rod Barr
107A Valk
Phone: 660.562.1620
Dr. Stephen Ludwig
2150 Colden Hall
Phone: 660.562.1749
Communication and
Mass Media

Dr. Matt Walker
101 Wells Hall
Phone: 660.562.1173
Computer Science and Information Systems
Dr. Carol Spradling
2240 Colden Hall
Phone: 660.562.1588
Dr. Timothy Wall
228 Brown Hall
Phone: 660.562.1179
Fine and Performing Arts
Dr. Joe Kreizinger
127 Houston
Phone: 660.562.1172
Health and Human Services
Dr. Matt Symonds
208 Martindale Hall
Phone: 660.562.1069
Humanities and Social Sciences
Dr. Joel Benson
61 Valk
Phone: 660.562.1613
Language, Literature and Writing
Dr. Michael Hobbs
2860 Colden Hall
Phone: 660.562.1285
Mathematics and Statistics 
Dr. Christine Benson
1643 Garrett-Strong
Phone: 660.562.1807
Natural Sciences
Dr. Mark Corson
1320 Garrett-Strong
Phone: 660.562.1672

chat loading...