Forever Green
Campaign for Northwest
Menu & Search

Billing and Payments

Billing and Payment Information

Charging to Accounts

Northwest allows students to charge various items throughout campus to their University account. All miscellaneous charges are due by the 15th of the following month. Listed below are some of the items we allow to be charged to accounts.

  • Bookstore charges
  • Dining dollars (food)
  • Parking fines
  • Parking permits
  • Wellness Services charges
  • Laser printing
  • Art store charges
  • Performing Arts tickets
  • Yearbook
  • Transcript

Billing Policy

The first bill of each semester will be mailed to the student's permanent address. All subsequent bills will be e-mailed to the student's University e-mail account. If the student is not responsible for payment, an additional e-mail can be sent to the responsible party. The student must complete the '2nd Billing' e-mail address in their 'CatPAWS' account from the Personal Information Tab.

Northwest uses a balance forward system. Any unpaid charges will appear on subsequent bills as a previous balance. Just like your MasterCard or VISA statement, charges will not be itemized a second time. Only new charges will be itemized.

Failure to pay the minimum due or make special payment arrangements with the Bursar’s Office could result in the student’s inability to use their meal plans and the possibility of administrative withdrawal. A series of email notifications are sent prior to any of these measures. Student fees and miscellaneous charges are billed monthly and are consolidated on the billing statement. This allows the University to send the student one monthly billing statement covering all charges including tuition, technology fees, textbook rental fees as well as room and board. The student ID card, Bearcat Card, also serves as a campus charge card. The charges are billed through one consolidated account for items such as bookstore purchases, copy charges, dining dollars, parking permits and Wellness Services charges.

Payment Plan

All students must sign up for a payment plan by 11:59pm on August 14th if unable to pay the total balance by the due date.

Things to know

  • $50 non-refundable fee due at time of payment plan enrollment
  • Payments not made by the 15th of each month will be subject to a $20 late payment fee
  • If financial aid is not applied to your account by August 14th you must sign up for a payment plan
  • Monthly automatic withdrawal available
  • $100 payment plan enrollment fee will be administered to all students with an outstanding balance and not enrolled in a payment plan by 11:59pm on August 14
  • Installment amount recalculates up to 14 days before payment due date. Updated installment amount is sent to students email.
  • Scholarships checks cannot be used for an installment payment. If you have not applied for federal financial assistance by Aug. 1, be prepared to pay your first installment.

Fall Payment Plan Options

Four Installment Plan

Due Dates:
  • August 15
  • September 15
  • October 15
  • November 15

Three Installment Plan

Due Dates:
  • September 15
  • October 15
  • November 15

To sign up for a payment plan

  1. Log into CatPAWS
  2. Account Tab
  3. Account/Payment Center
  4. Payment Plans tab

Paying your bill

Methods of Payment

In person

  • Check, cash, money order, debit
  • Cash policy


  • Electronic check
  • Online debit
  • Credit card

Pay Now


  • Northwest Missouri State University
    1st Floor, Administration Building
    800 University Drive
    Maryville, MO 64468-6001
  • Be sure to include your 919#

International Wire Transfer

Northwest Missouri State University has partnered with Flywire in order to streamline the tuition payment process of international payments. Flywire allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, generally in your home currency.

By making your payment with Flywire you can:

  • Track your payments from start to finish
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates
  • Contact their multilingual customer support team with any questions, day or night

To make the payment:

  • OPTION 1: Log into your CatPAWS account and click on ‘International Tuition payment’ under the account tab OR
  • OPTION 2: Parents or other Third parties can go to: to begin the payment process.

If you have questions about making an international payment visit


Dropped Class / Withdrawal

Dropped Class

  • To drop a class means to officially terminate your enrollment in a given class, but to remain enrolled in at least ONE class.
  • To withdrawl means to officially leave the University, terminating enrollment in ALL classes for the current term.
  • Important dates


  • Undergraduate withdrawals must be completed during regular office hours by contacting the Student Success Center at or call 660.562.1695.
  • Graduates wanting to withdrawal must contact the Graduate Office at or 660.562.1144 during regular office hours.
  • Refund dates
  • Housing
    • Room charges are daily pro-rated to the date of check out. An additional $200 cancellation fee will be applied to the student’s bill. After the 12th week of class, refunds are no longer available.
  • Board
    • Board/meal plan cost are $100 per week in addition to a $100 processing fee. Any unused dining dollars will be refunded.

Return of Title IV Federal Student Aid

This requirement applies to you ONLY if:

  1. You received federal student aid, and
  2. You are withdrawing prior to completing 60% of the period for which the aid was provided.

The new federal law required federal aid recipients to "earn" most of the aid they receive by staying enrolled in college at least half time. Students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester/ quarter for which they received federal student aid may be required to return some of the aid they were awarded.

The new law assumes that you used your Title IV student aid (e.g., Stafford or Perkins Loans) to pay your institutional charges -- tuition, fees, dorm room and board and certain other institutional charges -- whether you did or not. Thus, if you withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester for which you were awarded aid, a pro rata portion of your aid must be returned to the federal government.

First, the University will restore to the appropriate federal fund source a proportional share of institutional charges that you have paid. Second, if the amount returned by the University is not enough to repay the entire amount that you haven't "earned" by the length of your enrollment, you will be required to return portions of amounts that you received to pay for non-institutional charges -- books, supplies, off-campus living expenses.

Amounts that must be returned to federal aid sources, whether by the university or by you, will first be applied to your federal loans. With respect to any amount you owe after the university has paid back its share, you will be permitted to repay the loans based on the original terms of the loans - usually a ten-year repayment term after a grace period and deferments if you return to school. In addition, you may be required to restore portions of grants such as Pell and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOGs) that you have received. In the case of "unearned" portions of federally funded grants or scholarships, you will be expected to pay 50% of the "unearned" portion immediately or to make satisfactory arrangements to repay that amount.

If you are entitled to a refund from the University of amounts you paid to cover institutional charges, any refund due you will first be applied to your obligation to return "unearned" aid before you receive money back. Thus, portions of institutional refunds may be applied on your behalf to your outstanding Stafford or Perkins Loans or to the federal portions of your grants or scholarship and not actually refunded directly to you.

This policy is based on 34 CFR, Section 668.22 of Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.

chat loading...