Student and Parent Loans
To accept loans offered on your award letter:
- Log in to your CatPAWS account and accept loan(s).
Complete Entrance Counseling Session. As a first-time borrower at Northwest, you must complete an Entrance Counseling Session before student loan funds will credit to your student account. The Financial Assistance Office will electronically receive a list of those students who successfully complete the counseling.
Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN). This must be completed by first-time borrowers before loan funds are disbursed to your Northwest account. Allow approximately 3-5 business days after accepting on CatPAWS before attempting to complete the MPN.
Complete Loan Exit Counseling. Students who have received ANY federal direct loan funds during their enrollment at Northwest must complete an Exit Counseling Session before leaving the University if they will be graduating at the end of the current trimester, transferring, or enrolled in less than half time (6 hours). You will use your FAFSA PIN to access the Exit Counseling information. A PIN can be requested from the PIN Web Site if you do not have a valid one.
Parent Plus Loans
- To apply for a Parent PLUS Loan your parent should go to www.studentloans.gov , sign in with their PIN and then click on “Complete PLUS Request Process." If the parent who signed the FAFSA is not the one completing the PLUS Request, the other parent can request a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. Upon notification of an approved credit decision the parent will need to complete a Parent PLUS Loan Confirmation Form found at www.nwmissouri.edu/finaid/forms.htm. The parent will complete the form, sign it and return it to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance at Northwest Missouri State University by mail, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 660.562.1674.
- Although we recommend applying on-line, parents may also apply by completing a Parent PLUS Loan Information Form found at www.nwmissouri.edu/finaid/forms.htm then print, sign and return the form to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance at Northwest. Northwest will then initiate the credit decision process.
- For a parent using either method of application: When an approved credit decision acknowledgment is received the parent can then complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) on-line at www.studentloans.gov. Upon request, we will mail him/her a paper MPN to be signed and returned to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance.
- If the credit decision is denied, and the parent did not indicate their choice, they will be mailed a letter indicating the options that are available to them. When a negative credit decision is received, our policy is to move eligibility to additional Unsubsidized Loans for the student unless the parent has indicated that they wish to pursue one of the other options. A maximum of $4,000 for freshmen and sophomores and $5,000 for juniors and seniors may be awarded.
Perkins Loan Counseling
Entrance Session and Master Promissory Note. When accepting a Perkins Loan for the first time, you are required to complete an entrance counseling session and Master Promissory Note. You will need to provide your FAFSA PIN, Social Security Number, last name, and date of birth. If you do not have a valid PIN, you must go to the Department of Education PIN website. You may access the Entrance Session and Master Promissory Note online.
Exit Counseling. To complete your online exit interview, please access ECSI's Website.
Log in to "My Account" by entering the following information:
School code: 4P
Acct #: (Your Social Security Number)
PIN: (sent in separate letter from Northwest's Bursar's Office).
Click the "Login" button
Click on the "Exit Interview" link
Click the "Pending Exit" link to begin the process
Additional Loan Tools
- Loan consolidation calculator: Allows borrowers to estimate the repayment period, interest rate, and repayment schedule if they consolidate
- Deferment navigator: Allows borrowers to determine deferment eligibility based on when their oldest outstanding loan was disbursed
- Student loan repayment calculator: Allows borrowers to estimate payments on federal student loans, as well as determine how much salary is needed to support student loan debt
- Income-based repayment calculator: Allows borrowers to estimate monthly payment amounts under the income-based repayment plan
Students who are planning to become teachers in low income areas and high need fields may be eligible for the TEACH Grant. Click here for more information.
Loan Cancellation/Deferment Options for Teachers