Feb. 13, 2008
Nelson Scores 1,000th Point, Hits Nine 3's in Win
MARYVILLE -- The Northwest Missouri State women's basketball team used a strong second half to defeat Truman State 86-71. Kelli Nelson hit a school-record nine three-pointers and scored a career-high 31 points in an 86-71 win against Truman Wednesday at Bearcat Arena. Nelson's first 3 put her over 1,000 points. Defensively, she held Truman standout Candace McGee to no field goals and two points.
The win improves Northwest to 12-10 (7-6 MIAA) and drops Truman to 13-9 (5-8 MIAA).
It was never more than a one possession game the first 10 minutes, but Northwest would extend their small lead to six with a Lindsey Bayer 3-pointer at the 7:22 mark. Truman would close the margin to two points, 28-26, with just over four minutes left.
A trey by Nelson gave the Bearcats their largest first-half lead, 35-28, with 1:51 remaining. Northwest took a 35-33 lead into the locker room as the Bulldogs scored the last five points. The Bearcats led for nearly the entire half, trailing for 1:36.
The Bearcats opened the second half with a 22-7 run in the first six minutes. A jumper by Meghan Brue capped the run. The large run made Bulldogs head coach John Sloop burn three timeouts in the first eight minutes of the second half.
The Bulldogs would pull within nine points after a 12-0 run, but Northwest would not allow Truman any closer surrendering six points in the final 4:14.
Mandi Schumacher matched her career-high with 25 points for the second straight contest and grabbed a team-high eight boards. April Miller dished out a season-high seven assists and Lauren Williams joined the party with a career-high six assists.
UP NEXT: Northwest hosts Pittsburg State on Saturday, Feb. 16. Tip is set for 1:30 p.m.
- Its the 110th career game and 75th start for Mandi Schumacher and Nelson.
- Nelson has hit a 3-pointer in nine straight games.
- Mandi Schumacher scored in double-digits for the fourth straight game and 16th time this season. She has totaled 59 career double-digit games.
- Nelson also set a school record for the most 3-pointer's attempted with 17.
- The win broke Northwest's four game losing streak.
- Northwest is now 47-11 all-time against Truman and 21-6 at home versus the Bulldogs.
- It's the fifth straight loss for Truman.
- Northwest is 10-1 when dishing out more assists than their opponent.
- The Bearcats set a season-high with 25 assists.
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468