Feb. 9, 2008
Schumacher Nets Career-High 25 in Loss to UCM
WARRENSBURG, Mo. - Northwest Missouri State senior Mandi Schumacher scored a career-high 25 points in a 96-52 loss at Central Missouri Saturday. It's the eighth time Schumacher has scored 20 or more points this season. Kelli Nelson added eight points and stands two shy of 1,000 for her career.
The injury ridden Bearcats shot just 27.7 percent from the field. Amber Vandevender missed her second straight game with a back injury while Melissa Nyquist and Alicia Bell have been out with knee injuries.
Northwest found the rims of Central's Multipurpose building unfriendly again this season. The Bearcats had two scoreless droughts of 6:37 and 7:28 in the game. The Jennies used a 13-0 run in the first drought and a 15-0 run in the second drought, building their lead to 50-19 with 14:35 left in the second half. Last year Northwest went 9:11 without scoring a point in Warrensburg.
Northwest led just twice in the game, both times within the first three minutes of play. Nelson knocked down a trey to give Northwest its first lead, 3-2, and Mandi Schumacher nailed a jumper in the paint to take a 5-4 lead.
UP NEXT: Northwest will be back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 5:30 p.m. It's the first home game for Northwest in the month of February.
- Meghan Brue broke her streak of 17 straight free-throws.
- Kelli Nelson scored eight points and is now just two points shy of 1,000 career points.
- Emma Frost-Briley played a career-high 13 minutes.
- Lindsey Bayer added nine points and grabbed four rebounds.
- The 19 Northwest first half points ties for the lowest point total in any half this season.
- The 44-point loss was the biggest margin of defeat versus the Jennies in their series history.
- The 44-point loss is the biggest margin of defeat since Jan. 12, 2005 when Northwest lost to Washburn 99-49.
- The 96 points is the most allowed since Northwest gave up 97 to SBU this season.
- Northwest committed a season-high 24 turnovers.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468