Nov. 17, 2007
Bearcats Crush Avila 110-67
MARYVILLE -- (stats) The Northwest Missouri State women's basketball team had no trouble scoring in a 110-67 win against Avila University. The Bearcats shot 65 percent and committed just one turnover in the first half.
After the first five minutes of play the scored was tied at 15, but a 19-4 run over the next six minutes gave Northwest a comfortable 15-point lead, 34-19. The Bearcats headed into halftime with a 60-37 margin.
Northwest continued outscoring the Eagles in the second half getting a majority of their 63 bench points. Lindsey Bayer scored all 15 of her points in the second half and Mandi Schumacher pitched in 10 of her 14 points in the same period.
The Bearcats controlled the post area finishing with 52 points in the paint. The transition game also benefited Northwest as they scored 35 points off of 23 Avila turnovers.
Andrea Dill finished with 20 points, 18 coming in the first half, hitting 9-of-17 field goals. Four other Bearcats finished in double-digits with all but three players hitting at least one field goal.
Northwest will travel to the Montana-State Billings Yellowjacket Classic during Thanksgiving break for a pair of games. The Bearcats will take on host Montana-State Billings on Nov. 23 at 8 p.m., and Mary (N.D.) on Nov. 24 at 2 p.m.
- It's the first time Northwest has scored 100 points since Northwest Dec. 6, 2003, when the Bearcats defeated Mount Mercy 104-71.
- It's just the 19th time in Northwest history that they have eclipsed 100 points and its ties for
the fifth highest point total.
- The 60 points scored in the first half was more than the Bearcats scored in the entire game last night against Evangel.
- All 14 players played at least 10 minutes.
- Northwest committed just five turnovers.
- Lindsey Bayer's 15 points was a career high.
- Micaela Uriell recorded a career-high 13 points.
- Alicia Bell was 3-for-3 from the field and 1-for-1 from the free-throw line.
- Melissa Nyquist, Emma Frost-Briley and Toni Gordon saw their first action as Bearcats.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468