Aug. 31, 2007
Bearcats Impressive In Opener
AUSTIN, Texas-Rachel Nisi had a team-high 13 kills to lead Northwest (3-2) to a 3-0 sweep of Arkansas-Monticello (3-2) Friday in the opening game of the St. Edward's Classic. Scores went 30-18, 30-21 and 30-28.
Nisi hit .423 (13-2-26) and has reached double-digit kills in four of five games to start the season. Northwest held a lead for most of the match and hit .333 as a team compared to .147 for the Cotton Blossoms.
Paige Spangenberg had four of Northwest's season-high 11 aces and helped prevent UAM from getting in sync offensively. Nicole Wojtowicz added two aces and served on a Bearcat rally in each of the first two games.
The Cotton Blossoms rebounded from a 25-19 deficit in game three to tie the game at 27. But a service error, blocks by Katie Swenson and Amy Bohnker and a final kill from Bohnker secured the win for Northwest.
Bohnker had nine kills and a game-high five blocks. Swenson got 20-plus attempts to four of her teammates and finished with 35 assists.
Northwest continues play Friday with a match against Nova Southeastern (2-2) at 4:45 p.m.
- First-ever meeting between the two teams.
- Northwest has hit over .300 as a team in each of its three wins this season.
- Northwest hit .483 in the opening game.
- Wojtowicz served six straight points in game one to give Northwest a 19-11 lead.
- Northwest never trailed in game two.
- Northwest's largest deficit in the match was two points, 3-1, in game three.
- Bohnker's nine kills are one shy of her career high.
- UAM had one block the entire match.
- Taura Rush led the Cotton Blossoms with a match-high 14 kills.
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468