Aug. 25, 2007
Northern State Rallies To Beat Northwest
KEARNEY, Neb. - Northwest Missouri State volleyball took the first two games, but Northern (S.D.) State won the next three and handed the Bearcats a 3-2 loss to end play at the Nebraska-Kearney Classic Saturday.
The Bearcats drop to 2-2 for the third straight season. Northern (S.D.) State improves to 3-1.
Northwest strung together a 6-0 run early in the first game to take a 12-9 lead, but fell behind 26-22 late. A block from junior Amy Bohnker sparked the Bearcats to tie the game at 27 before eventually winning the game 31-29.
The Bearcats saw themselves behind 9-7 early in game two before a 6-0 rally provided a 13-9 lead for Northwest that never relinquished. Freshman Sara Falcone provided 2.5 points for Northwest during the run coming from two kills and a block assist. The Bearcats took game two 30-24.
Northwest fell behind early in game three, allowing the Wolves to open with eight unanswered points. The Bearcats returned with a 6-1 rally, but couldn't fully recover in a 30-20 loss.
The Bearcats put together five straight points early in game four to take a small 5-3 lead, but a similar run late by the Wolves allowed Northern State to force game five with a 30-23 score.
Northern State used seven kills and two blocks in the final game to outscore the Bearcats 15-8.
Sophomore Alicia Johnson notched a double-double, leading Northwest with 15 kills and 25 digs. She was joined with a double-double by sophomore Rachel Nisi, who contributed 10 kills and 19 digs. Freshman Katie Swenson made 45 assists. Bohnker tied a career-high with three solo blocks.
Northwest will be in action again at the St. Edward's Volleyball Classic in Austin, Texas, starting Aug. 31. First match for the Bearcats will be at 10 a.m. on Aug. 31 vs. Arkansas-Monticello.
- Alicia Johnson led Northwest in kills for the second straight match with 15 and led the Bearcats in digs for the first time with 25.
- Sara Falcone reached double-digit kills for the second time this season with 10.
- Northwest is 0-2 vs. Northern (S.D.) State.
- Both matches between the two teams have been decided in five games.
- First meeting since Sept. 12, 2003.
- Won the first game in back-to-back matches for the first time since Oct. 13-14, 2006, in the Henderson (Ark.) State Classic.
- Northern (S.D.) State opens game three on an 8-0 rally before Northwest answers back with a 6-1 run.
- First time this season an opponent has recorded more aces than Northwest
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468