Aug. 25, 2007
Bearcats Begin Day Two With A Sweep
KEARNEY, Neb. - A balanced hitting attack allowed Northwest Missouri State volleyball to take a 3-0 victory over St. Martin's today at the Nebraska-Kearney Volleyball Classic.
The Bearcats improve to 2-1 while St. Martin's drops to 0-3.
A kill from freshman Alicia Johnson sparked an 11-2 Northwest run midway through the first game, pushing the Bearcats to a 24-15 lead. Northwest won game one 30-20.
Northwest scored 10 of the final 11 points of game two, including two service aces from freshman Katie Swenson, to win the second game 30-19. The Bearcats only allowed 13 points in game three, the fewest since Oct. 6, 2006, in a 30-13 game three win.
Junior Amy Bohnker hit a career-best .562 on nine kills and 16 attempts. Johnson also notched nine kills. Swenson tallied 35 assists while freshman Paige Spangenberg led the Bearcats with 13 digs. Senior Nicole Wojtowicz also provided 10 digs for the Northwest defense.
Sophomore Rachel Nisi led Northwest with four aces and Swenson recorded three as part of the 10 aces for the Bearcats.
Northwest will wrap up play at the UNK Classic with a 4:45 p.m. match today with Northern (S.D.) State.
- Bohnker's .562 hitting percentage beats her .545 performance vs. Central Arkansas on Aug. 26.
- Nisi's four aces are the most by a Bearcat since Sept. 9, 2006, when Wojtowicz hit five against Minnesota State, Mankato.
- All Northwest hitters were within four kills of each other (between five and nine kills).
- First meeting between St. Martin's and Northwest.
- First game one win for Northwest since Oct. 14, 2006 vs. West Florida.
- First three-game win since Oct. 14, 2006 vs. West Florida.
- 17-point win (30-13) in game three is largest since Oct. 6, 2006 in 30-13 game two win over Southwest Baptist.
- The 10 service aces are the most since hitting 11 against Missouri-St. Louis on Sept. 16, 2006.
- The +7 advantage in aces (10-3) is the highest since Aug. 27, 2005 when the Bearcats had a +8 advantage (13-5) over Quincy (Ill.).
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468