Aug. 24, 2007
Host Nebraska-Kearney Sends Northwest To 1-1
KEARNEY, Neb. - Northwest Missouri State fell in three games to nationally-recognized Nebraska-Kearney Friday night at the UNK Volleyball Classic.
Northwest drops to 1-1 on the season while the Lopers improve to 2-0.
The Bearcats remained close with Nebraska-Kearney throughout game one until a 9-0 run by the Lopers allowed them to take an 18-10 lead. Nebraska-Kearney won the first game 30-16.
A late 6-1 rally in the second game started by blocks from Northwest freshman Amber Ryan and junior Amy Bohnker was too little as Nebraska-Kearney took a 30-24 game.
Northwest pulled to 10-7 early in the third game with a 5-0 run to counter an earlier 9-0 run by the Lopers.
Sophomore Rachel Nisi led the Bearcats in kills for the second-straight match with 12. Freshman Katie Swenson recorded 33 assists while libero Paige Spangenberg led Northwest with 17 digs. Bohkner also contributed eight kills and two blocks to the Bearcat cause.
Northwest will continue play in the UNK Classic on Aug. 25, taking on St. Martin's (Wash.) at 10 a.m. The Saints lost both matches today in 3-0 scores to Nebraska-Kearney and Northern (S.D.) State.
- Northwest falls to 2-8 all-time against Nebraska-Kearney.
- It was the first meeting between the two teams since Oct. 27, 1990.
- Northwest had won five of the last six non-conference matches dating back to Oct. 13, 2006, going into the Nebraska-Kearney match.
- Nebraska-Kearney is the first nationally-recognized opponent (received votes in AVCA Preseason Poll) for the Bearcats this season.
- Nebraska-Kearney went on a 9-0 run to take an 18-10 lead in game one and a 6-0 run in game three to take a 9-2 lead.
- Northwest went on a 5-0 run in game three to pull within three at 10-7.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468