May 28, 2010
School Record, Ninth Place for Churchman
CHARLOTTE, N.C.-Northwest Missouri State senior Emily Churchman broke her own school record in the heptathlon, but came up 10 points shy of All-America honors after placing ninth in the event Friday at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field Championships hosted by Johnson C. Smith University.
Churchman finished with 5,116 points, 25 more than her previous best set during the MIAA championship meet in early May. Aisha Adams of Angelo State won the national title with 5,698 points. Tuekeha Huntley of Cal State Los Angeles took the final All-America slot with 5,126 points in eighth place.
Churchman entered Friday's final three events with an 11th-place standing and with 3,051 points. She jumped 18-feet-8.5-inches in the long jump (759 points), threw the javelin 99-feet-8-inches (484 points) and ran the 800-meter run in 2:20.09 (822 points), a personal-best and the ninth-fastest time in program history.
Churchman's final championship event will be the high jump, which takes place at 5:35 p.m. EDT Saturday. Churchman placed 11th in the long jump Thursday.
Three other Bearcats will take the stage later Friday. Ben McKim will compete in the shot put at 5 p.m. EDT, Tyler Shaw will run the preliminaries of the 110-meter hurdles at 7:35 p.m. EDT and Angela Adams will compete in the preliminaries of the 5,000-meter run at 7:50 p.m. EDT.
Heptathlon Final Standings:
- 5,698 Aisha Adams, Angelo State
- 5,572 Chrystal Ruiz, Angelo State
- 5,392 Maddy Outman, Indiana (Pa.)
- 5,386 Lindsay Lettow, Central Missouri
- 5,324 Shannon Moore, Nebraska-Omaha
- 5,282 Angella Graham, New Mexico Highland
- 5,239 Heather Miller, St. Cloud State
- 5,126 Tuekeha Huntley, Cal St. Los Angeles
- 5,116 Emily Churchman, Northwest
- 5,062 Jessica Withrow, Abilene Christian
- 5,035 Anna Kay Campbell, Lincoln
- 4,946 Angela Selby, Central Missouri
- 4,894 Lisa Roth, Ashland
- 4,862 Stephanie LeFever, UC Sand Diego
- 4,787 Kelly Clancey, Chico State
- 4,767 Amanda Doyle, Adams State
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468