March 13, 2010
Churchman Places Fifth in the Pentathlon
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.-Northwest Missouri State senior Emily Churchman placed fifth in the pentathlon Saturday at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship Meet. Churchman totaled a career-best 3,704 points to earn All-America honors in the event for the second year in a row. Churchman finished eighth last season.
St. Cloud State's Heather Miller (3,993 pts) edged MIAA performers Lindsay Lettow of Central Missouri (3,924 pts) and Shannon Moore of Nebraska-Omaha (3,923) to claim the title. Lisa Roth of Ashland placed fourth, 22 points ahead of Churchman. The field consisted of 13 student-athletes.
Churchman began and ended the competition with career-best performances. She placed sixth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.01s, tied for the second-fastest time in program history. She entered the final event in fifth place and secured her position by running 800 meters in 2:25.14, good for sixth place.
In between was a fourth-place finish in the high jump with a leap of 5-feet-4.5-inches, a seventh-place finish in the shot put with a heave of 33-feet-8-inches, and a third-place finish in her best event, the long jump, with a leap of 18-feet-2.25-inches.
Churchman is the sixth student-athlete in program history to earn indoor All-America honors in back-to-back season and the first since Alisha Samuel placed eighth and fifth in the 60-meter dash in 2004 and 2005, respectively. Churchman's 3,704 points broke her own program record of 3,679 points set earlier this season.
Pentathlon Final Standings
1. 3,993 pts - Heather Miller, St. Cloud State
2. 3,924 pts - Lindsay Lettow, Central Missouri
3. 3,923 pts - Shannon Moore, Nebraska-Omaha
4. 3,726 pts - Lisa Roth, Ashland
5. 3,704 pts - Emily Churchman, NW Missouri State
6. 3,677 pts - Jessica Withrow, Abilene Christian
7. 3,674 pts - Angella Graham, New Mexico Highlands
8. 3,551 pts - Amanda Doyle, Adams State
9. 3,526 pts - Anne Carlson, Central Missouri
10. 3,337 pts - Trina Carito, East Stroudsburg
11. 3,270 pts - Okine Codlyn, Lincoln
12. DNF - Brianna Perry, U. of Mary
13. DNF - Shianne Smith, Cal St. Los Angeles
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468