Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
Open to any Northwest student-athlete, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), is a committee made up of student-athletes from all 16 intercollegiate athletics teams at Northwest Missouri State University.
The committee meets once a month to offer input and to discuss athletic department concerns, questions, management, operations, rules and ideas that affect student-athletes' lives on the Northwest campus. SAAC also discusses and reviews community service programs and acts as a liaison that maintains lines of communication between the student-athletes and athletics department administration. Annually, the student-athletes have donation drives for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and other organizations.
SAAC held its first GATORFEST on April 23, 2009 to help raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Open to all Northwest students, the Gatorade-Pong Tournament was a success, turning out fifteen teams! Prizes were awarded to the top two teams and everyone walked away a winner.
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee participates annually in a food drive conducted by the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA). Each conference school is responsible for gathering as many food items as possible to be donated to local organizations. In 2007-08, Northwest collected a total of 2418 pounds of food. In addition, student-athletes volunteer at a local grocery store to help bag groceries for shoppers.
President Vice-President Secretary Treasurer
Jessica Feurbach Lauren Atkinson Felipe Gennari Iesha Haskins
Women's Golf Women's Golf Men's Tennis Volleyball
Each member of the SAAC has the opportunity to serve as a voice for all student-athletes. Each member has an opportunity to enhance their leadership skills through the Northwest SAAC, the MIAA and the NCAA.
SAAC members are responsible for all of the following:
- Attending ALL SAAC Meetings (once monthly)
- Reporting all information back to your teammates and coaches
- Voicing all the concerns of your teammates and coaches to the SAAC
- Act in a variety of capacities to enhance the overall athletics experience
- Update the SAAC on your team's results and upcoming events
- Working with your coach on the selection of future SAAC members
- Support your fellow student-athletes
- Promote all sports and the Athletics Department in a positive light
- Serve as a role model to your teammates, Northwest and the community
Lori Hopkins is the advisor for SAAC.