Bearcats Rally to Defeat Ouachita Baptist 64-58
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Lance Sullivan scored a game-high 18 points, 11 coming in the second half, to lead the No. 13 Bearcats from a 14-point second half deficit to a 64-58 victory over Ouachita Baptist in the first day of the River City Classic.
Head coach Steve Tappmeyer won his 379th career game, moving into a tie for third in MIAA career records with Truman's Boyd King who coached the Bulldogs from 1946-71.
Northwest used a 7-2 run early in the game to take a 9-8 advantage at the 15-minute mark in the first half. A jumper from Lance Sullivan provided a five point lead with 10:58 in the first period, but the Tigers took control and held a 29-24 advantage at break.
A 9-0 run from Ouachita early in the second half pushed the Bearcats into a 14 point hole with 13:31 left in the game. After a two-minute break from scoring for both teams, Sullivan's three-pointer with 10 minutes remaining sparked the Bearcats to a 21-7 scoring run to tie the game at 54-all with 3:01 remaining. Five different Bearcats scored in that span, led by Sullivan and Mose Howard with six points apiece.
Hunter Henry's 3-pointer at 2:20 provided the first Bearcat lead since the first half, and the Bearcats didn't surrender a field goal through the end of the game.
Sullivan led five Bearcats scored in double-figures, the first such occurrence Nov. 17. Mose Howard contributed 11 points while Henry, Matt Withers and Andy Peterson all dropped in 10. Sullivan led the Bearcat rebounding effort with a career-high seven boards.
The Bearcats (7-1) close out the River City Classic tomorrow against No. 21 Central Oklahoma. Tip off from Bill Greehey Arena is 10:30 a.m.
- Matt Withers scored double-digit points in the last two games. It's his third double-digit game this season.
- Lance Sullivan's 18 points are the most for his this season. He's scored in double-digit points in three of the last four games. It's the most for him since scoring 19 vs. Pittsburg State March 10 vs. Pittsburg State.
- Mose Howard's 11 points are the most since a season-high 15 points against Tabor Nov. 20.
- Hunter Henry has scored in double-digits in 34 of his last 35 games.
- Andy Peterson has reached double-digit scoring in five of his last six games.
- Northwest is 3-0 against Ouachita Baptist all-time. All three games have been played on neutral courts.
- Second straight game with the starting lineup of Mose Howard, Eddie Gray, Andy Peterson, Hunter Henry and Matt Withers.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468