Sept. 10, 2012
Northwest to honor armed forces
MARYVILLE, Mo. – Saturday the Northwest Missouri State football team will host Fort Hays State at 1 p.m. while also paying tribute to the armed forces through a variety of ways.
The Bearcats enter this MIAA clash at 1-1 overall and 0-1 in the MIAA while the Tigers stand at 0-2 overall and 0-2 in league play. Northwest is coming off a 31-21 loss at Central Missouri and will look to get back on the winning track this Saturday.
Saturday’s game will also serve as Military Appreciation Day with a number of special activities for fans and recognitions of military personnel throughout the game. Some of Saturday’s events include:
- Discounted tickets for all active or retired military personnel and their immediate family with a valid military ID. Discounted ticket prices will be: Adult reserve $10, Adult Standing Room $6 and Student standing room only $5. These tickets will only be available on game day at the ticket windows, which are located at the west and southeast entrances to the stadium.
- The Missouri National Guard will be on-hand with a variety of military vehicles and equipment for fans to see prior to the game at The Hy-Vee Bearcat Zone, as well as inside Bearcat Stadium.
- A special recognition of military personnel will take place on field prior to kickoff.
- A select group of newly commissioned National Guard soldiers will be sworn-in during a special halftime ceremony.
- The Bearcats and Jock’s Nitch Sporting Goods worked together to outfit the team in a special custom made jersey from Adidas that will help pay tribute to the armed forces.
“We are excited to be able to pay tribute to the men and women of the armed forces Saturday and throughout the school year via our partnership with the Missouri National Guard,” Northwest Director of Athletics Wren Baker said. “It is a fantastic organization for our student-athletes, coaches and staff to be aligned with and we appreciate their support of the Bearcats.”
The Missouri National Guard organizes, trains and prepares a family and community-based force of ready citizens as units to defend and serve the people of Missouri and the United States of America. This partnership will provide support for Northwest’s athletic department and student-athletes while providing an improved experience for them as well.
“Northwest has approximately 100 students that are currently Army National Guard soldiers and receiving educational benefits,” said SFC Ted Finney, Missouri Army National Guard recruiter in Maryville. “The Northwest campus is 100 percent behind the Guard’s initiatives and has always been extremely supportive of soldiers for overseas deployment and local state emergency duties.”
It is another way the Northwest community has continued to support and provide visibility to many statewide initiatives touched by the Missouri National Guard including tornado relief efforts, and the recent drought throughout the area.
"It's an honor for our program to partner with an important organization such as the Missouri National Guard, considering the type of work they do for our state and country," Bearcat Football Head Coach Adam Dorrel said. "It will be a daily reminder of what they do for us and when our players put those jerseys on they will have a sense of pride knowing what it represents."
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, contact SFC Ted Finney at 660-200-5069.
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468