This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Bearcats

Press Release


Oct. 8, 2011

Bearcats run all over Mules in, 38-20 win

Box Score 

WARRENSBURG, Mo. - The 7th-ranked Northwest Missouri State Bearcats scored 24 unanswered points and played spoiler on homecoming for No. 19 Central Missouri taking a, 38-20 win in front of an MIAA on-campus record 14,377 fans.

The Bearcats rebounded after their first conference loss in 49 games and improved to 5-1 on the year and 4-1 in league play. The Mules fall to 4-2 on the year and 3-2 in the MIAA and have now lost nine straight to the Bearcats.

Trevor Adams found Jordan Simmons down the sideline who then scampered 39-yards to the end zone extending the Bearcat lead to, 31-20. After the pass was nearly intercepted, Simmons was able to regain his balance racing to the end zone for the score that seemingly broke the Mules back.

Adams finished 13-of-25 with only one touchdown, but it was the rushing game that proved key for Northwest on Saturday.

It was the first time since head coach Adam Dorrel rejoined the Northwest coaching staff a pair of running backs finished over 100 yards rushing. James Franklin finished with 143 yards on 28 carries while Simmons added 138 yards on 19 carries.

Franklin added three touchdowns including the final score of the game, a one-yard plunge that put the game out of reach.

The Bearcats and Mules traded scores to start the game in what looked like the beginning of a shootout. However, both defenses would lock in as UCM would steal the momentum coming out of halftime when Tommy Corwin found David Cannon in the end zone giving the Mules a, 17-14 lead.

UCM would extend their lead on an Aaron Jamieson 22-yard field goal giving the Mules a, 20-14 lead after Adams' second interception of the afternoon.

However, unlike last week, the Bearcat defense held the Mules to a field goal and scored on their next drive putting together a six play 69-yard drive that was capped by Bryant Hummel's first touchdown of the season putting Northwest back on top.

"With our defense to hold after the interception it gave us a different feeling from last week," said Dorrel. "To score after the field goal I think was really the turning point in the game."

On the ensuing kickoff the Mules return man Alexis Reedus fumbled and Clarke Snodgrass recovered for the Bearcats on the UCM 36-yard line.

Todd Adolf would add a 46-yard field goal to give the Bearcats a 24-20 lead after the turnover.

After Adams only touchdown toss of the afternoon to Simmons the Bearcats would pick off a Mules pass to seal the win as Chad Kilgore grabbed his first pick of the season. Kilgore added a tackle for a loss and a forced fumble on the day, but his second half presence in the Mules backfield jump started the Bearcat defense in the second half.

"This was a big game for us. To come on the road in an atmosphere like this it really helps us," said Dorrel. "It's not easy to play here. We played physical for 60 minutes including guys sucking it up and playing hurt."

It was also the first time since a 2009 playoff win over California (Pa.) in which Northwest rushed of over 300 yards in a game. The Bearcats finished with 308.

"To run the football like we did is not easy. They knew we were going to run the ball and to just keep doing it and see our guys finish in the fourth quarter was really fun."

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582

Northwest Athletics
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468