Feb. 12, 2008
Gabriel Helms Drafted in Startup Football League
ATLANTA, Ga. - Former Northwest Missouri State football player Gabriel Helms was drafted in the 2008 inaugural All American Football League (AAFL) draft by Team Alabama. Helms, a 2004 graduate of Northwest, was taken in the 43rd round, 258th overall pick, and will play cornerback.
A St. Louis native, Helms played cornerback at Northwest from 2002-04 and finished his career with 18 pass breakups, 88 tackles and three interceptions in 36 games. Helms participated in the 2005 Cactus Bowl and signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on April 27, 2005. He played in NFL Europe in the summer of 2006 for the Rhein Fire.
Quick Facts About AAFL:
- AAFL is a for-profit, professional football league.
- Games will be played on Saturdays and use college-sized footballs.
- Each team will have 46-man rosters.
- Players must have a four-year college degree.
- Player's salaries will be $50,000.
- Six teams will play a 10-game schedule beginning April 12 and ending July 12.
- Visit www.allamericanfootballleague.com for more information.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468