Nov. 4, 2006
Northwest Grabs Share of Conference Title with 41-14 Drubbing of Pitt State (game notes)
NORTHWEST NOTES vs. #8 Pittsburg State
- Earns at least a share of MIAA Championship - 1st since 2003 and 20th overall.
- Stands 3-2 in the Fall Classic, snapping a two-game losing skid.
- 9-6 record against Pittsburg State under Coach Tjeerdsma.
- Defense has not allowed a 100-yard rusher or 300-yard passer this season (9 games).
- Defense has forced 30 "three-and-outs" this season after forcing two today.
- Northwest holds a +13 turnover ratio after forcing two today - first in the MIAA.
- Northwest has been ranked in the AFCA Coaches' Poll 38 straight weeks.
- Calbert's interception in the first quarter extended the team's streak to 10 straight games with at least one pick.
- The "58 drive in the first quarter was the first such drive this year spanning less than a minute.
- After leaping out to a 21-0 point first-quarter advantage, Northwest has out-scored the opponent 104-9 this season in the first frame.
- Northwest has amassed 18 scoring drives in 2:00 or under.
- With the game-opening touchdown drive, Northwest has now scored first in 11 straight games and 15 of last 16.
- Pittsburg State went scoreless in the first half, it was the first time this season it scored 0 points.
- The 22,561 attendance figure was third largest in five overall Fall Classic's - total attendance at Arrowhead is 116,166.
- Northwest held Pitt State to 14 points, the lowest amount since Northwest defeated PSU 21-10 in last season's NCAA Quarterfinals.
- Entering the game first in the MIAA in sacks, Northwest tallied 6 for 35 giving the Bearcats 28 on the year - the 6 in one game is the most since 6 against Central Missouri (Oct. 22)
- Northwest has out-gained the opponent in total yardage in 15 of its last 16 games.
- Tommy Frevert had hit 70 straight PAT's before his third attempt of the game hit the right upright.
- Josh Mathews has now thrown a TD pass in 12 straight starts.
- 19 season TDs, 8th on season charts.
- Xavier Omon did not dress due to injured ribs.
- Diezeas Calbert's interception with 11:41 remaining in the 1st quarter - 3nd this year and 3rd career.
- Myles Burnsides' interception at 14:54 of the second quarter was the third of his career.
- Mike Peterson, who normally lines up at TE, got his first career rush in the 1st quarter - it was good for 13 yards.
- The 17-yard blocked punt return by E.J. Falkner was the first special teams score since Kendall Wright returned a punt 68 yards at Missouri Southern (Sept. 30).
- The 172 rushing yards by Sheldon Cook were a Northwest season-best and the most since Xavier Omon had a playoff-record 225 at Angelo State (Nov. 12).
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468