April 22, 2005
Four More Sign in 2005 Football Recruiting Class
MARYVILLE, Mo. -- Four more student-athletes have signed official NCAA letters-of-intent with the Northwest Missouri State University football program, announced head coach Mel Tjeerdsma today. Merced (Calif.) Junior College transfer Michael Conley (Merced, Calif.), incoming freshmen Jonathan Eilersten (Scottsdale, Ariz.) and Kenny Surber (Killeen, Tex.) and Grossmont Community College (Calif.) product Quinten Womack (San Diego, Calif.) join the 2005 signing class. This group of four student-athletes brings the 2005 Northwest recruiting class to 24.
Following is a look at each individual:
• MICHAEL CONLEY (Merced, Calif.) - Def. Tackle, 6-0, 290 lb.
High School: John F. Kennedy (WA) Previous School: Merced CC (Calif.)
Head Coach: Bob Bougette
Notes: Played his last two years collegiately at Merced CC where he was awarded Most Inspirational as a sophomore...Won All-Conference honors three times as a prep...Team Captain last year and as high school senior...Wrestled once and threw the Shot Put two years in high school...Also was an offensive lineman.
Coach Tjeerdsma on Conley: "We think he is a guy that will give us some good help on the defensive line and interior. He is someone with maturity and is a strong, physical player."
• JONATHAN EILERSTEN (Scottsdale, Ariz.) - Punter, 6-1, 180 lb.
High School: Desert Mountain Head Coach: John Burke
Notes: Awarded the Special Teams Player of the Year on the team...Averaged 43.6 yards per punt as a senior...Hit for a long punt of 62...Pinned 12 kicks inside the opponent 20-yard line...Of his 56 punts last year, only one was returned.
Coach Tjeerdsma on Eilersten: "He was an outstanding high school punter. I think out of 55 punts last season, only one was returned. His punts are extremely high and he has a strong leg. He will come in and compete for a starting spot right away."
• KENNY SURBER (Killeen, Tex.) - Def. Tackle, 6-0, 260 lb.
High School: Killeen Shoemaker Head Coach: Ken Gray
Notes: 13-5A First Team All-District pick...Two-time Academic All-District honoree..Fourth Team All-Central Texas selection...Part of a Shoemaker High squad to garner its first winning season in school history in 2004...Honorable Mention All-District as a junior...Tallied 74 total tackles and seven sacks as a senior.
Coach Tjeerdsma on Surber: "We got him late and he might be a little light for playing on the defensive line. He plays extremely hard though with a certain passion and desire. I think he will grow into a great inside player for us."
• QUINTEN WOMACK (San Diego, Calif.) - Cornerback, 6-1, 190 lb.
High School: San Diego Previous School: Grossmont CC (Calif.)
Head Coach: Bob Perone
Notes: Led his junior college team to a 11-1 mark last season and an appearance in the California Community College Playoffs...Named to the All-Conference squad his final two years as a prep.
Coach Tjeerdsma on Womack: "We consider him to be a big cornerback who runs well. He plays very good man coverage and we feel he can match up with taller, more physical receivers. He will come in right away and battle."
2005 Northwest Signing Class - 24 total
• Greg Applegate - Harlan, Iowa (Harlan Community High)
• Sydney Brisbane - Maryville, Mo. (Maryville High)
• Myles Burnsides - Maryville, Mo. (Maryville High)
• Jeff Colter - Lawrence, Kan. (Lawrence High)
• Michael Conley - Merced, Calif. (Merced CC)
• Laron Council - Kansas City, Mo. (Center High)
• Jonathan Eilersten - Scottsdale, Ariz. (Desert Mountain High)
• Keelen Green - Sulphur Springs, Tex. (Sulphur Springs High)
• Ross Hastert - Harlan, Iowa (Harlan Community High)
• Edward "EJ" Hawkins - Elgin, Tex. (Lexington High)
• Drayton "Dray" Johnson - Mesquite, Tex. (Mesquite High)
• Justin Knox - Sedalia, Mo. (Smith-Cotton High)
• Marcus Martin - Holden, Mo. (Holden High)
• Josh Maschmeier - Beatrice, Neb. (Beatrice High)
• Troy Mathews - Omaha, Neb. (Millard South High)
• Sean Paddock - Bettendorf, Iowa (Pleasean Valley High)
• Jake Petersen - Omaha, Neb. (Millard South High)
• Tyler Roach - Elkhorn, Neb. (Elkhorn High)
• Joe Schroeder - Washington, Mo. (St. Francis Borgia High)
• Keenan Spight - Grandview, Mo. (Grandview High)
• Kollin Spight - Grandview, Mo. (Grandview High)
• Kenny Surber - Killeen, Tex. (Killeen Shoemaker High)
• Evan Wilmes - Maryville, Mo. (Maryville, Mo.)
• Quinten Womack - San Diego, Calif. (Grossmont CC)
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468