This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Bearcats

Press Release

November 8, 2003

'Cats Get By Southwest Baptist, 26-24

MARYVILLE , Mo. - The Northwest Missouri State University Bearcats held on and defeated an upset-minded Southwest Baptist squad 26-24 Saturday at Rickenbrode Stadium.

Southwest Baptist took a 7-0 lead early in the second quarter when Robert Clardy scored on a five-yard run. But the Bearcats answered on their ensuing possession. Morris White (Jr., St. Louis, Mo.) returned the kickoff 51 yards to the SBU 31.

White suffered a broken leg on the play and was taken to the hospital. Four plays later, Josh Lamberson (Soph., Wilber, Neb.) rushed for a two-yard touchdown. The Corey Paetznick (Fr., Des Moines, Iowa) PAT made it 7-7 with 12:38 remaining in the second quarter.

Northwest took the lead with 4:58 until halftime, when Lamberson scrambled and eventually found Jamaica Rector (Jr., Celeste, Texas) near the 10-yard line. Rector made a move, picked up a block and scooted into the end zone. The PAT left Northwest up 14-7 heading into the intermission.

SBU got the lone score of the third quarter. Marco Kirven capped a 51-yard drive with a nine-yard touchdown run to tie the game. Southwest Baptist got a 42-yard field goal from Steve Mattson to tkae a 17-14 lead on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Once again, Northwest had an answer. Lamberson drove the 'Cats 64 yards in seven plays. He capped the drive with a one-yard touchdown, set up by his own 21-yard run on the option. The PAT was no good after a bad snap and the 'Cats led 20-17.

On Northwest's next possession, the 'Cats drove 57 yards in six plays. Mitch Herring (Soph., Maryville, Mo.) capped the drive with a two-yard scamper into the end zone. The TD put Northwest on top 26-17 after the two-point conversion failed with 7:57 remaining in the game.

SBU wasn't finished Marco Kirven, who rushed for 196 yards on 32 carries kept them in the game. His 57-yard run down the sideline and the Mattson PAT left SBU down 26-24 with 3:06 remaining. Northwest's Nick Glasnapp recovered the onside kick attempt. The Bearcats ran all but two seconds off the remainder of the clock. SBU reached its own 45-yard line, with the clock expriring.

Lamberson returned from injury to lead the Bearcat offense. He rushed for 52 yards and two scores. Lamberson also passed for 258 yards and one TD. Jamaica Rector hauled in seven receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown. Adam Long led the defense with nine tackles, including one for a loss.

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582

Northwest Athletics
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468