May 17, 2006
Ken B. Jones Nominees Finalized; Lamberson and Lindsay Northwest Representatives
Story courtesy of MIAA Sports Information Office
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- A total of 17 student-athletes -- eight men and nine women -- have been nominated for the 2005-06 Ken B. Jones Award as MIAA Student-Athlete of the Year.
This marks the 13th year for the award. It is named in honor of the man who served as the MIAA's first full-time commissioner for 16 years, before retiring in 1997. He passed away in May 2004.
One male and one female will be selected for the honors, with the announcement of the three men's and three women's finalists coming on May 22.
The finalists will be invited to the MIAA Awards Banquet, scheduled for June 1 in Kansas City, Mo., at the Downtown Marriott Hotel, where the winners will be announced.
A 10-member panel of athletics directors, senior women's administrators, faculty athletics representatives and sports information directors representing each school and the conference office selects the winners.
Judging is done in four areas for each nominee, 2005-06 Athletic Accomplishments, 2005-06 Academic Accomplishments, 2005-06 Campus/Community Service and Career Athletic, Academic and Service Achievements.
To be nominated, a student-athlete must have a 3.00 cumulative grade-point average as of April 1, and complete at least their junior season of eligibility in the 2005-06 season.
Northwest Missouri State track & field athlete Clint Prange and Truman soccer player Sara Murray won the 2004-05 awards.
- Brice Garnett, senior, Missouri Western State University, golf, Gallatin, Mo.
- Josh Lamberson, senior, Northwest Missouri State University, football, Wilber, Neb.
- Corey McElhaney, senior, Southwest Baptist University, cross country/indoor & outdoor track & field, Elgin, Okla.
- Gabe Medina, senior, Emporia State University, baseball, Zulia, Venezuela
- Ryan Meredith, junior, Pittsburg State University, football, Bartlesville, Okla.
- Greg Nurrenbern, senior, Truman State University, wrestling, Fulton, Mo.
- Matt Warnock, senior, Washburn University, golf, Liberty, Mo.
- J.P. West, senior, Missouri Southern State University, soccer, Broken Arrow, Okla.
- Kristin Anderson, senior, Central Missouri State University, indoor track & field, Richfield, Ohio
- Amy Broadhurst, junior, Southwest Baptist University, cross country/indoor & outdoor track & field, Raymore, Mo.
- Marian Broderick, senior, Missouri Western State University, volleyball, Wichita, Kan.
- Iashia Castle, senior, Missouri Southern State University, indoor & outdoor track & field, Kansas City, Mo.
- Chelsey Leonard, senior, Pittsburg State University, indoor & outdoor track & field, Miami, Okla.
- Gena Lindsay, senior, Northwest Missouri State University, tennis, St. Joseph, Mo.
- Sarah Shearman, junior, Truman State University, volleyball, Manchester, Mo.
- Melissa Stevens, senior, Emporia State University, softball, Lenexa, Kan.
- Lora Westling, senior, Washburn University, soccer, Casper, Wyo.
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468