Dec. 8, 2008
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of Dec. 8, 2008
|Saturday, December 13|
|Football||No. 3 Northwest vs. No. 6 Minnesota-Duluth - Championship||Florence, Ala.||12 p.m.|
|Women's Basketball||Northwest at Nebraska-Omaha||Omaha, Neb.||4 p.m.|
|Men's Basketball||No. 21 Northwest at Nebraska-Omaha||Omaha, Neb.||6 p.m.|
No. 3 Football (13-1)
- Northwest will have a shot at claiming its third football title Saturday against Minnesota-Duluth in Florence, Ala. Kickoff is set for noon with a national broadcast on ESPN2.
- The Bearcats are the second time in Division II football history to advance to four straight title games (North Dakota State - 1983-86)
- It's a rematch of the 2002 first round contest. Northwest used a touchdown with 31 seconds remaining to claim a 45-41 victory.
- Minnesota-Duluth is the first team from the Northern Sun to advance to a championship game. The Bulldogs are in their first season in the NSIC after moving from the North Central Conference.
No. 21 Men's Basketball (3-3)
- Northwest will play only one game this week at Nebraska-Omaha Dec. 13. Tipoff from Sapp Fieldhouse is 6 p.m.
- Hunter Henry ranks among the MIAA leaders in points (tied for 7th), rebounds (3rd), field goal percentage (8th), free throw percentage (9th), steals (3rd), blocked shots (3rd) and offensive rebounds (3rd).
- The Bearcats and Mavericks are meeting for the first time as MIAA members. The two have split through their nonconference history at 6-6 all-time.
- A win would be Head Coach Steve Tappmeyer's 400th career victory.
Women's Basketball (4-4)
- Northwest plays its final MIAA contest before the winter break with a 4 p.m. game at Nebraska-Omaha Dec. 13.
- Meghan Brue and Amber Vandevender will each be going for 1,000 career points. Brue is seven points shy while Vandevender will need just a field goal to eclipse the 1,000-point mark.
- Rickeya McElroy is three blocks away from tying for ninth in program records. She's second in the conference with 2.25 blocks per game this season.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468