Nov. 17, 2008
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of Nov. 17, 2008
|Tuesday, November 18|
|Men's Basketball||No. 16 Northwest hosts Peru State||Bearcat Arena||7 p.m.|
|Friday, November 21|
|Men's Basketball||No. 16 Northwest vs. Rockhurst||St. Joseph, Mo.||5:30 p.m.|
|Women's Basketball||Northwest hosts Evangel||Bearcat Arena||7:30 p.m.|
|Saturday, November 22|
|Football||No. 3 Northwest hosts No. 10 Pittsburg State||Bearcat Stadium||Noon|
|Men's Basketball||No. 16 Northwest vs. Arkansas Tech||St. Joseph, Mo.||5:30 p.m.|
|Women's Basketball||Northwest hosts William Jewell||Bearcat Arena||7:30 p.m.|
No. 3 Football (10-1)
- Northwest welcomes Pittsburg State Nov. 22 for the second round of the NCAA Division II Playoffs. Kickoff is set for noon.
- It's the first trip to Maryville for the Gorillas since 2000. It's the 15th time in the last 16 meetings when both teams have been nationally ranked and the ninth time when both teams are ranked in the top 10.
- The two are meeting for the fourth time in the playoffs Saturday. The two have combined for six national championship appearances in the past 10 seasons.
- Northwest Head Coach Mel Tjeerdsma and Pittsburg State Head Coach Chuck Broyles currently rank 1-2 in Division II records for postseason victories (22 and 19, respectively).
No. 16 Men's Basketball (0-0)
- Northwest begins the 2008-09 season at home with Peru State Nov. 18 before traveling to St. Joseph for a pair of games in the Hillyard Tip-Off Classic.
- The Bearcats won an exhibition contest against Livin' The Dream Nov. 3 70-65. Newcomers Shawn Carter and DaJuan Harris each scored 15 points to lead the Bearcats.
- The Bearcats are picked No. 16 the NABC Preseason Poll. Northwest is one of five schools listed in both football and men's basketball polls (Minnesota State-Mankato, Grand Valley State, Central Washington, North Alabama).
Women's Basketball (1-0)
- The Bearcats open the home season with the Winstead-Reeves Classic Nov. 21-22. Briar Cliff, William Jewell and Evangel are expected to participate.
- Northwest Head Coach Gene Steinmeyer improved to 9-1 in season-openers with a 69-60 win against South Dakota Nov. 15.
- Shelly Martin led the Bearcats with 17 points off the bench and went five-of-six from the field against the Coyotes.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468