Oct. 20, 2008
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of Oct. 20, 2008
|Tuesday, October 21|
|Volleyball||Northwest hosts No. 7 Washburn - "Pink Out"||Bearcat Arena||7 p.m.|
|Thursday, October 23|
|Soccer||Northwest hosts Emporia State||Bearcat Pitch||3 p.m.|
|Friday, October 24|
|Volleyball||Northwest at Fort Hays State||Hays, Kan.||7 p.m.|
|Saturday, October 25|
|Cross Country||Northwest at MIAA Championships||Warrensburg, Mo.||10:30 a.m.|
|Football||No. 3 Northwest at Washburn||Topeka, Kan.||1 p.m.|
|Soccer||Northwest at No. 23 Nebraska-Omaha||Omaha, Neb.||1 p.m.|
|Volleyball||Northwest at No. 9 Emporia State||Emporia, Kan.||7 p.m.|
No. 3 Football (7-1 / 6-0 MIAA)
- Northwest heads back on the road for a trip to Washburn Oct. 25. Kickoff from Moore Bowl at Yager Stadium is 1 p.m.
- The Bearcats have won 13 of the last 14 meetings with the Ichabods, including the last seven games played in Topeka, Kan., dating to 1995.
- Northwest leads the league in scoring offense, rushing defense, total offense, first downs, sacks, third down conversions and red zone offense.
- LaRon Council continues to lead the MIAA with 15.0 points per game. Kendall Wright leads the conference with 12.9 yards per punt return and Sean Paddock is tied for the lead in fumble recoveries with three this season.
Volleyball (7-15 / 4-6 MIAA)
- Northwest faces its sixth ranked opponent of the season Oct. 21 as No. 7 Washburn visits Bearcat Arena. The Bearcats face another ranked team in No. 9 Emporia State Oct. 25 on a return from Fort Hays State the day before.
- Tuesday's match against Emporia State will be the annual "Pink Out" for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Paige Spangenberg averaged 7.29 digs per set last week to improve her career average to 4.80. She needs 15 digs to become the 12th Bearcat in program history with 1,000 career digs.
Soccer (7-6-2 / 3-6-2 MIAA)
- The Bearcats host Emporia State Oct. 23 to close out a three-game homestand before traveling to No. 23 Nebraska-Omaha Oct. 25.
- Northwest is 5-2 against Emporia State at home. The Bearcats haven't played in Nebraska-Omaha since 2004 and haven't won in three tries.
- Kira Lazenby made a season-high 13 saves against Washburn Oct. 18 to increase her season total to 70. She stands eighth in season records. Her .833 save percentage is on-pace to break the school record of .832 set in 1999 by Kathie Leach.
Men's Cross Country
- After a break last weekend, Northwest heads to Warrensburg, Mo., for the MIAA Championships. The men's 8K begins at 10:30 a.m. at UCM's Keth Memorial Golf Course.
- Zach Layton led the Bearcats with a season-best 26:22.9 in the 8K course at the Nebraska-Kearney Loper Open Oct. 11. He's led Northwest in three straight races leading up to the conference meet.
- Ben Chappell improved his 8K time by more than 30 seconds in Kearney, Neb., to finish second for Northwest and 19th overall. He earned MIAA Honorable Mention honors in 2007.
Women's Cross Country
- The Bearcat women head to Warrensburg, Mo., for the MIAA Championships at UCM's Keth Memorial Golf Course. The 6K race will begin at 11:30 a.m.
- Angela Adams ran her first collegiate 6K race at the Loper Open Oct. 11 with a team-best 24:11.1 to finish 17th overall. She's lead the Bearcats in three races this season.
- Northwest finished seventh in the 2007 championships, three points out of sixth.