Oct. 13, 2008
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of Oct. 13, 2008
|Tuesday, October 14|
|Basketball||Midnight Madness||Bearcat Arena||10 p.m.|
|Wednesday, October 15|
|Volleyball||Northwest at Missouri Western||St. Joseph, Mo.||7 p.m.|
|Thursday, October 16|
|Soccer||Northwest hosts No. 9 Truman||Bearcat Pitch||4 p.m.|
|Friday, October 17|
|Hall of Fame||M-Club Hall of Fame Banquet||Student Union||6:30 p.m.|
|Volleyball||Northwest hosts No. 12 Truman||Bearcat Arena||7 p.m.|
|Saturday, October 18|
|Soccer||Northwest hosts Washburn||Bearcat Pitch||11 a.m.|
|Football||No. 5 Northwest hosts Fort Hays State||Bearcat Stadium||1:30 p.m.|
No. 5 Football (6-1 / 5-0 MIAA)
- Northwest returns home after more than a month on the road for Homecoming against Fort Hays State. Kickoff is 1:30 p.m.
- It will be the second trip for Fort Hays State to Bearcat Stadium as opponents for the Homecoming contest. In the last Homecoming contest in 2006, Northwest blanked the Tigers 59-0.
- Northwest leads the MIAA in scoring offense, pass offense, rushing defense, total offense, first downs, sacks and third-down conversions.
- Kendall Wright leads the MIAA in receptions per game (5.14) and LaRon Council leads the conference with 15.4 points per game. Council set the MIAA single-play rushing record with a 99-yard scoring run against Central Missouri Oct. 11.
Volleyball (6-14 / 3-5 MIAA)
- The Bearcats close out the first half of the MIAA schedule at rival Missouri Western Oct. 15 and against No. 12 Truman Oct. 17.
- Northwest swept the season series with the Griffons in 2007 in 3-0 matches.
- Paige Spangenberg is fourth in MIAA statistics with 4.67 digs per set. Spangenberg improved her average by 0.15 during the week with 20 digs in a three-set match against Nebraska-Omaha Oct. 8.
Soccer (7-4-2 / 3-4-2 MIAA)
- Northwest begins to go back through the MIAA schedule this week in two home contests with No. 9 Truman and Washburn.
- Freshman Kelly Obley scored her first collegiate goal in the 74th minute against Emporia State to provide the game-tying goal in a 1-1 contest against the Hornets Oct. 11.
- The Bearcats are unbeaten at home this season at 4-0-1.
2008 Hall of Fame Induction
- The M-Club Hall of Fame will increase to 89 athletes with the addition of six Bearcats in the 2008 induction class: All-MIAA basketball player and former career points leader David Alvey, tennis All-American and national quarterfinalist David Imonite, MIAA volleyball MVP Mary Beth Bishop Steele, baseball career wins leader Tom Franke, two-time All-American wide receiver Steve Hansley and faculty athletic representative Russ Northup.
- The formal induction ceremony will take place Oct. 17 at 6:30 p.m. in the ballroom of the J.W. Jones Student Union. Tickets are $17 and can be reserved at (660) 562-1977.
- The inductees will also be recognized at halftime of Saturday's football game.