March 9, 2009
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of March 9, 2009
|Wednesday, March 11|
|Men's Tennis||No. 28 Northwest at Missouri Valley||Marshall, Mo.||3 p.m.|
|Friday, March 13|
|Baseball||Northwest hosts No. 9 Central Missouri||Bearcat Field||2 p.m.|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Oklahoma City||Pittsburg, Kan.||2 p.m.|
|Women's Tennis||No. 39 Northwest hosts Missouri Southern||Frank Grube Courts||3 p.m.|
|Softball||Northwest at Pittsbug State||Pittsburg, Kan.||4 p.m.|
|Track and Field||Northwest at NCAA Indoor Championships||Houston, Texas||6:15 p.m.|
|Men's Tennis||No. 28 Northwest vs. Cameron||Springfield, Mo.||TBA|
|Saturday, March 14|
|Track and Field||Northwest at NCAA Indoor Championships||Houston, Texas||9 a.m.|
|Women's Tennis||No. 39 Northwest hosts Southwest Baptist||Frank Grube Courts||10 a.m.|
|Men's Tennis||No. 28 Northwest hosts No. 22 Southwest Baptist||Frank Grube Courts||10 a.m.|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Bellevue||Pittsburg, Kan.||10 a.m.|
|Baseball||Northwest hosts No. 9 Central Missouri (2-7)||Bearcat Field||Noon|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Fort Hays State||Pittsburg, Kan.||Noon|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Missouri Southern||Pittsburg, Kan.||4 p.m.|
|Sunday, March 15|
|Baseball||Northwest hosts No. 9 Central Missouri||Bearcat Field||Noon|
Men's Track and Field
- Tyler Shaw and Ben McKim will represent the men's team at the Division II Indoor Championships March 13-14 at the Yeoman Field House in Houston, Texas. The championships is part of the first Division II winter national championships festival along with national championships for wrestling and swimming.
- It's the 15th consecutive year the Bearcat men will send athletes to the indoor championships.
- Shaw enters with the fifth-best time in the 60-meter hurdles. He ran 8.09 in his third race of the season to break the program record. He runs the preliminaries at 6:15 p.m. March 13 with finals scheduled for 5:05 p.m. March 14.
- McKim has Division II's eighth-best throw in the shot put with 55-11 3/4 and will be one of four MIAA throwers in the event. He competes at 2:05 p.m. March 14.
Women's Track and Field
- Emily Churchman will compete in the inaugural NCAA pentathlon March 14 at the indoor championships in Houston, Texas.
- Churchman earned All-MIAA honors with a program-record 3,541 points at the MIAA Championships Feb. 27. She has the nation's ninth-best mark.
- She is the first Bearcat women's athlete to compete at the national indoor meet since graduate assistant Alisha Samuel ran in the 60-meter dash in 2006.
Baseball (7-7, 3-3 MIAA)
- Northwest opens the 2009 season against ninth-ranked Central Missouri in a four-game series this weekend.
- The Bearcats are receiving votes in the latest Collegiate Baseball Magazine ranking released March 9.
- Trevor Conner hit .563 as Northwest went 3-1 against Fort Hays State last weekend. Brandon Kirsch hit the first grand slam of the season in game one to lead the team with seven RBIs on the road trip.
- Bret Harvel won his 11th career game to move into a tie for eighth in program records with a six-inning performance where he allowed no runs and held the Tigers to a .190 batting average March 7.
Softball (5-12, 0-0 MIAA)
- The Bearcats head to their fifth straight tournament March 13-14 for the Pittsburg State Invitational
- Northwest went 2-0 in Pittsburg, Kan., earlier this season in the weather-shortened Missouri Southern/Pittsburg State Crossover Invitational.
- The Bearcats face three MIAA opponents in nonconference action - Pittsburg State, Missouri Southern and Fort Hays State. It will be the second straight weekend against Oklahoma City and the first meeting with Bellevue since 2006.
No. 28 Men's Tennis (2-0, 0-0 MIAA)
- Northwest faces Missouri Valley and Cameron Wednesday and Friday, respectively, before welcoming No. 22 Southwest Baptist to open the 2009 home schedule Saturday.
- The Bearcats dropped two spots in the ITA national rankings after going 2-0 to start the season last weekend but remain at No. 5 in the South Central region rankings.
- Felipe Gennari and Ryan Westerhof both went 2-0 at No. 2 doubles and combined to go 4-0 in their respective singles matches. Both won their singles matches in straight sets.
No. 39 Women's Tennis (1-0, 0-0 MIAA)
- The Bearcat women start a three-match home stand against MIAA opponents with Missouri Southern Friday and Southwest Baptist Saturday.
- Northwest swept Newman 9-0 and dropped only 22 games (out of 118) in the blanking.
- Lisa Pendrak won her 10th singles match of the season with a 6-0, 6-2 victory last Friday. She's halfway to cracking the program top 10 lists for season singles wins.
- Jordan Lipira moved into a tie for ninth in career doubles victories with her 64th career win. She needs three more to tie Lia Ruiz for eighth in the all-time records.
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468