March 2, 2009
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of March 2, 2009
|Monday, March 2|
|Baseball||Northwest at No. 23 Emporia State||Emporia, Kan.||1 p.m.|
|Wednesday, March 4|
|Baseball||Northwest vs. Graceland||Bearcat Field||1 p.m.|
|Men's Tennis||No. 26 Northwest vs. William Jewell||Frank Grube Courts||3 p.m.|
|Friday, March 6|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Nebraska-Omaha||Joplin, Mo.||9 a.m.|
|Men's Tennis||No. 26 Northwest vs. Newman||Topeka, Kan.||10 a.m.|
|Women's Tennis||Northwest vs. Newman||Topeka, Kan.||10 a.m.|
|Men's Tennis||No. 26 Northwest vs. Southeastern Oklahoma State||Topeka, Kan.||2 p.m.|
|Baseball||Northwest at Fort Hays State||Hays, Kan.||3 p.m.|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Cameron||Joplin, Mo.||5 p.m.|
|Saturday, March 7|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Oklahoma City||Joplin, Mo.||9 a.m.|
|Baseball||Northwest at Fort Hays State (2-7)||Hays, Kan.||1 p.m.|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Missouri S&T||Joplin, Mo.||3 p.m.|
|Softball||Northwest vs. Drury||Joplin, Mo.||5 p.m.|
|Sunday, March 8|
|Baseball||Northwest at Fort Hays State||Hays, Kan.||12 p.m.|
Baseball (4-4, 0-0 MIAA)
- Northwest will try again to start its MIAA season Monday against the defending champion Emporia State. The series has been delayed twice due to weather.
- The Bearcats open the home schedule Wednesday against Graceland before traveling to Hays, Kan., for a four-game series with the Tigers.
- Emporia State and Fort Hays State both advanced to the MIAA tournament last season.
- Bret Harvel has struck out 11 batters in three appearances and is one win away from tying for eighth in career records (currently tied for 11th with 10 career victories).
Softball (5-7, 0-0 MIAA)
- The Bearcats will head to Joplin, Mo., for five in-region games Friday and Saturday. Weather cancelled Tuesday's doubleheader with Missouri Western.
- Northwest outscored opponents 24-2 in the shortened PSU/MSSU Crossover last weekend. Jennifer Bohle recorded her first collegiate multi-hit game against Newman, which included a grand slam in the fourth inning.
- Nicole Ackelson moved to 2-0 on the season with the win against Newman. Cola Krueger struck out eight batters in a complete-game win against Oklahoma Panhandle State.
No. 26 Men's Tennis (0-0, 0-0 MIAA)
- Northwest will try again to start the 2009 season this Wednesday at home against William Jewell. First serve for Frank Grube Courts is 3 p.m.
- The Bearcats will travel to Topeka, Kan., Friday for a pair of South Central Region matches with Newman and Southeastern Oklahoma State.
- Daniel Usieto and Vigit Seghal will be the top returners after the duo advanced to the semifinals of the ITA regional doubles championship. The pair is ranked No. 26 in national doubles rankings and fourth in the South Central Region.
- The Bearcats are ranked No. 26 in the ITA preseason poll released Oct. 31 and fifth in the region.
Women's Tennis (0-0, 0-0 MIAA)
- The Bearcat women start 2009 at Topeka, Kan., against Newman March 6. It will be the first-ever meeting against the Jets.
- Northwest is ranked No. 10 in the ITA South Central Region poll released Oct. 31.
- Jordan Lipira went 6-2 in singles action during the fall season to increase her career victories total to 63. She needs four to tie for eighth in program records. Lipira also has 63 doubles wins, good for 10th in career records.
- Erika Leston and Lisa Pendrak went 1-1 in the ITA regional singles tournament last fall. Pendrak and Veronica Castilla also advanced to the round of 16 in the doubles brackets.
For more information, please contact:
Phillip Dowden, Media Relations/Sports Information
email@example.com | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468