Feb. 9, 2009
Bearcat Weekly for the Week of Feb. 9, 2009
|Friday, February 13|
|Softball||Northwest vs. East Central - Central Oklahoma Tournament||Edmond, Okla.||11 a.m.|
|Saturday, February 14|
|Softball||Northwest at Central Olahoma - Central Oklahoma Tournament||Edmond, Okla.||11 a.m.|
|Track and Field||Northwest at Wildcat Classic||Wayne, Neb.||11 a.m.|
|Women's Basketball||Northwest at Missouri Western||St. Joseph, Mo.||5:30 p.m.|
|Men's Basketball||Northwest at Missouri Western||St. Joseph, Mo.||7:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, February 15|
|Baseball||Northwest vs. Indianapolis (2/7)||Russellville, Ark.||1 p.m.|
Men's Basketball (10-12, 5-10 MIAA)
- Northwest will enjoy a week off thanks to the bye in the MIAA schedule to prepare for rival-Missouri Western Saturday night in St. Joseph, Mo.
- Hunter Henry surpassed 1,500 career points with an 18-point performance against Pittsburg State Feb. 14. He's the second player in program history with 1,500 points and 750 rebounds.
- Henry earned CoSIDA Academic All-District Second Team honors Feb. 5.
- Mike Larsen is listed among the MIAA leaders in assists (4th), steals (3rd) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.81)
Women's Basketball (7-15, 3-12 MIAA)
- Northwest will take a week off with the bye in the MIAA schedule before traveling to Missouri Western Saturday night.
- The Bearcats claimed their first double-overtime home win since 1984 with a 102-96 victory against Nebraska-Omaha Feb. 4. Northwest scored a program-record 16 three-pointers against the Mavericks.
- Rickeya McElroy has made her last 14 free-throw attempts since Jan. 24.
- The Bearcats have shot better than 80 percent from the free throw line in their last four games and are on pace to break the program season record with 76.1 percent.
Men's Track and Field
- The Bearcats travel to the Wildcat Classic at Wayne State Feb. 14 in a late addition to the indoor schedule.
- Tyler Shaw broke the program 60-meter hurdle record in his third career race with 8.09 at the Central Missouri Relays Feb. 7. He came within five-hundredths of earning an automatic trip to the NCAA championships in Houston.
- Zane Myers improved his program record to 4,403 points in a second-place finish at the Bill Hillenbrand Open at South Dakota Feb. 6-7. He won the shot put and placed second 60-meter hurdles.
- Jacob Dupin finished third in his first career heptathlon with 4,330 points. He finished second in the high jump and third in the 1,000-meter run.
- Ben McKim matched the career-best of his older brother, Daniel, with 55-5 3/4 in the shot put at Central Missouri. The McKim brothers are tied for fourth in the all-time performer lists.
Women's Track and Field
- Northwest heads to Wayne State for the Wildcat Classic Feb. 14.
- Hannah Henry broke the program record in the 60-meter hurdles and became the first Bearcat to run faster than nine seconds with 8.96 at Central Missouri Feb. 6.
- Five records have fallen this season: 60-meter hurdles (Henry), pentathlon (Emily Churchman), and the 5,000-meter, 1000-meter and mile runs (all Anna O'Brien).
- Mary Jantz led all Division II distance runners with career-bests in the mile and 3,000-meter runs at Central Missouri.
Baseball (0-0, 0-0 MIAA)
- The Bearcats open the 2009 season in Russellville, Ark., to take on Indianapolis in a 1 p.m. doubleheader.
- Northwest returns eight pitchers (four starters, four relievers) from last year's 29-22 squad.
- Nick Pfeiffer also returns after earning second-team All-MIAA honors and posting a .337 batting average.
- The Bearcats were picked fifth in the MIAA Preseason Coaches' Poll.
Softball (0-0, 0-0 MIAA)
- Northwest starts the 2009 season at the Central Oklahoma Tournament in Edmond, Okla., Feb. 13-14.
- The Bearcats are coming off their fourth NCAA tournament appearance and were picked fourth by the MIAA coaches.
- Seven starters return for Northwest, including first-team all-region outfielder Casey Carper and first-team All-MIAA second baseman Erin Leslie.
- Senior Cola Krueger makes her return to the mound after winning 13 games and posting four shutouts in 2008.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations Department, Northwest Athletics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1118 | Fax: 660.562.1582
Lamkin Activity Center | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468