This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.
Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.
Dr. Joel Benson
- Ph.D., Miami University, 1987
- M.A., University of Cincinnati, 1983
- B.A., Miami University, 1977
- American History to 1877
- Humanities - The Medieval World
- European History From 1500 to the Present
- The Historian's Craft
- English History to 1715
- Nineteenth-Century European History
- Contemporary European History
- Tudor-Stuart England
- French History to 1789
- Imperial Britain
- German History Since 1648
- English History: From Stonehenge to Versailles
- The Rise of Modern Nationalism
- American Military History
- The Civil War and
- Western Civilization I
- Western Civilization II
- Early Modern Europe
- Comparative World Cultures
- Research Methods and Historiography
- History of Science and Technology
- University Seminar
- Senior Seminar
- Tudor-Stuart England
- Anglo-Dutch relations in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
- Modern Britain
- Early Modern and Modern Europe
- Military History
- Cooperation to Competition. New York: Peter Lang, 1990.
- Book Review, The Sixteenth Century Journal. XXI, no. (Winter, 1990): 675.
- Co-authored - "Teaching Cultural Diversity in the Core Curriculum, Journal of General Education. 43, no. 3 (1994): 230-240.
- Authored thirteen articles in Olson, James S. and Shadle, Robert, eds. Historical Dictionary of the British Empire. Westport, Cn: Greenwood Press, 1996.
- Authored four entries in Frucht, Richard, ed. Encyclopedia of Eastern Europe New York: Garland Publishing, 2000.
- Changes and Expansion in the English Cloth Trade in the Seventeenth Century. Lewiston, N.Y.: The Edwin Mellon Press, 2002.
- Book Review: Teaching History: A Journal of Methods. XXXI, no. 1 (Spring 2006): 48-49.
- The Presidency of Grover Cleveland. First Men, America’s Presidents Series - Barbara Bennett Peterson, Series Editor. Hauppauge, N.Y.: Nova Publishers, 2010.
- “Anglo-Dutch Relations and the Amboyna Massacre,” History Research. 2, No. 3 (March 2012): 173-177.
- “England, Holland, and the Fishing Wars,” Philosophy Study. Vol. 5, No. 9 (September 2015): 447-452.
Other Professional Experiences
- Member of the faculty at Northwest Missouri State University (1987-present)
- Teaching Fellow - History Dept. - Miami University (1983-86)
- Graduate Assistant - History Dept. - University of Cincinnati (1982-83)