This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.
Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.
Starting a Business
Checklist For Starting A Business
- Develop a BUSINESS PLAN and FINANCIAL PLAN (determine capital requirements; equipment and inventory needs).
- Establish a banking relationship. (Set-up checking account after obtaining a Federal Employer Identification Number from the IRS, form SS-4.)
- Select an accountant and attorney.
- Determine the legal structure of your business, choose a business name, and register with the appropriate agencies.
- Negotiate leases and other contracts. MUST BE WRITTEN!
- If your business will have employees, open federal, state and local wage withholding and payroll tax accounts.
- Obtain the appropriate state/local licenses and permits for your type of business, including business and occupational licenses and occupancy permits, and sales tax licenses.
- Obtain information about state and federal unemployment tax and file appropriate forms. File a "Report to Determine Liability Status" with the Missouri Department of Labor.
- Obtain information on wage withholding and payroll taxes, including social security, Medicare and income taxes.
- Keep in all employees' personnel files a completed and signed W-4 Form and I-9 Form.
- Obtain worker's compensation insurance for your employees.
- Establish clear personnel policies to address such issues as working hours, compensation and fringe benefits.