This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University

Frequently Asked Questions

+ Expand All- Collapse All

Who is eligible for dual credit?

Our brochure just states "high school students." The following statement is found in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog :

"To be eligible to enroll in an on-campus or off-campus course for college credit, juniors or seniors must have an ACT composite score of 21 or higher and have at least a 3.00 grade point average on a scale of 4.00 OR a Combined Percentile Index of 100 or higher and have at least a 3.00 grade point average on a scale of 4.00. In addition, placement exams and specific ACT sub-scores are required for select courses. Freshmen and sophomores must score at the 90th percentile or above on the ACT or SAT to be eligible to enroll. If dual enrollment is in a music activity, the student is also required to obtain the approval of the appropriate high school and University instructor."

There are additional requirements to qualify for individual courses that are listed in our dual credit brochure.

What are the drop dates for the dual credit classes?

The answer is dependent upon whether the class is a year-long dual credit class or a semester class.

For a Semester Long Class 
4th week of classes

For a Year Long Class
8th week of classes

Do dual credit instructors receive pay from Northwest?

Yes, dual credit instructors receive a payment that will be based upon the student enrollments. Stipends will range from $150 to $400.

Where do dual credit students get their textbooks?

Textbooks are provided to dual credit students. Texts unused during the Fall trimester need to be returned in October, while unused texts in the Spring trimester should be returned in February. Please make arrangements with Textbook Services (660) 562-1150 to pick-up, and return textbooks each trimester.

What qualifications must an instructor meet in order to offer dual credit courses through Northwest Missouri State University?

The Missouri Coordinating Board of Higher Education requires Dual Credit instructors to have a minimum of a master's degree that includes substantial study (a minimum of 18 graduate-level semester hours) appropriate to the academic field in which they are teaching. Approval of specific courses and respective dual credit instructor will be based upon credentials and recommendation of the appropriate Department Chair.