Colden Pond was not always known as Colden Pond. It was originally called Lamkin Lake after Northwest President Uel Lamkin, who led Northwest from 1921 to 1945, and who was inspired to construct the water feature. The pond quickly became known as Lamkin's Folly during its early days because it would not retain water. After the problem was resolved, the pond was stocked with fish and became a pleasant oasis for the campus community. In the 2000s, Colden Pond underwent renovations to expand and deepen it to create a better environment for fish and prevent the growth of algae. Many lamented the removal of the large weeping willows around the pond due to the expansion.