April 7, 2015
Fraternities, sororities celebrate achievements during annual awards
The members and advisors of Northwest Missouri State University fraternities and sororities gathered March 16 honor outstanding achievements, chapters and individuals during their annual Greek Awards Ceremony.
Alpha Sigma Alpha was recognized as the University’s Outstanding Sorority of the Year and Phi Sigma Kappa was named the Outstanding Fraternity of the Year. The awards are presented to the sorority and fraternity that best represents a collective commitment and dedication to bettering their own chapters and Greek Life.
Additionally, Panhellenic Council, the administrative and governing body representing Northwest’s five sororities, presented its Legacy Award to Phi Mu member Taylor Polacek, a senior public relations major from Omaha, Neb. While the award is given to a sorority member who contributes to the advancement and betterment of the Greek community, the Panhellenic Council’s executive board decided Polacek was deserving for her active role on Phi Mu’s executive board as well as her campus involvement as a student ambassador and in the Department of Mass Media and Communication. Polacek also maintains a grade-point average above 3.5.
The Interfraternity Council, the administrative and facilitating board representing Northwest fraternities, presented two individual awards, each of which comes with a $250 scholarship. Sigma Tau Gamma member Nick Smith, a senior business management major from Maryville, received the Active Member Scholarship as the most outstanding active fraternity member, and Sigma Tau Gamma member Tyson Higel, a junior therapeutic recreation major from Clatonia, Neb., received the New Member Scholarship given to the most outstanding new fraternity member. The council also presented its B.D. Owens Academic Award to Sigma Tau Gamma, the chapter with the highest grade-point average during the 2014 scholastic year.
A complete listing of the award winners appears below. For more information about Greek Life at Northwest, visit www.nwmissouri.edu/greek/.
Panhellenic Council Awards
- Most Improved GPA: Alpha Delta Pi
- Best New Member GPA: Alpha Sigma Alpha
- Best Overall GPA: Alpha Sigma Alpha
- Pan-Hellenic Legacy Award: Taylor Polacek (Phi Mu)
Interfraternity Council Awards
- Active Member Scholarship: Nick Smith (Sigma Tau Gamma)
- New Member Scholarship: Tyson Higel (Sigma Tau Gamma)
- B.D. Owens Academic Award: Sigma Tau Gamma
- Gary Gaetti Intramural Supremacy Award: Sigma Phi Epsilon
Order of Omega Awards
- Outstanding Sorority President of the Year: Cari Calia (Phi Mu)
- Outstanding Fraternity President of the Year: Nathan Matt (Phi Delta Theta)
- Outstanding Greek Woman of the Year: Kelsey Lindberg (Sigma Sigma Sigma)
- Outstanding Greek Man of the Year: Dannen Merrill (Phi Sigma Kappa)
- Julie Victor Moore Lifetime Achievement Award: Dannen Merrill (Phi Sigma Kappa)
- Outstanding Advisor Award: Dr. John Katsion (Sigma Sigma Sigma)
Individual Chapter Awards
- Alpha Delta Pi Sisterhood Award: Phi Mu
- Alpha Sigma Alpha Helping Hands Award: Phi Mu
- Alpha Sigma Alpha Outstanding New Member: Lucy Hilliard
- Alpha Sigma Alpha Active Member: Emily Elder
- Alpha Kappa Lambda Greek Character Award: Sigma Kappa
- Delta Sigma Phi Leadership Award: Phi Sigma Kappa
- Phi Delta Theta Greek Unity Award: Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Phi Delta Theta Outstanding New Member: Cody Hadley-Hill
- Phi Delta Theta Active Member: Jeff DeVeydt
- Phi Mu Nancy Kriz Brotherhood Award: Delta Sigma Phi
- Phi Mu Outstanding New Member: Morgan Maxwell
- Phi Mu Active Member: Anna Baker
- Phi Sigma Kappa Kevin Bayer Risk Management Award: Sigma Kappa
- Phi Sigma Kappa Outstanding New Member: Mike Morgan
- Phi Sigma Kappa Active Member: Dallas Welch
- Sigma Kappa Most Inspirational Chapter Award: Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Sigma Kappa Outstanding New Member: Lexie Millman
- Sigma Kappa Most Inspirational Positive Attitude: Madison Yarbrough.
- Sigma Kappa Active Member: Kallyn Carl
- Sigma Sigma Sigma Outstanding New Member Education Award: Phi Sigma Kappa
- Sigma Sigma Sigma Outstanding New Member: Hunter Henderson
- Sigma Sigma Sigma Active Member: Shelby Metcalf
- Tau Kappa Epsilon Award for Excellence in Alumni Relations: Sigma Sigma Sigma
Category 1 (Chapter Management & Responsibility)
- Proficient Chapters: Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Sigma Kappa, Sigma Sigma Sigma.
- Winners: Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity
Category 2 (Chapter Membership & Involvement)
- Proficient Chapters: Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Sigma Kappa, and Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Winners: Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority, Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity
Category 3 (Chapter Academics)
- Proficient Chapters: Phi Delta Theta, Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Tau Gamma, Sigma Kappa, and Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Winners: Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity
Category 4 (Philanthropy & Community Service)
- Proficient Chapters: Phi Delta Theta, Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Tau Gamma, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Phi Mu, Sigma Kappa, and Sigma Sigma Sigma.
- Winners: Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority, Phi Sigma Kappa and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternities (tie)
Outstanding Sorority of the Year
Outstanding Fraternity of the Year