June 14, 2013
New smartphone app gives Northwest community instant access to emergency plans, resources
A new smartphone application now available to the Northwest Missouri State University community helps students, employees and campus visitors become better prepared when a crisis arises.
The app, “In Case of Crisis,” gives students and employees instant access to Northwest emergency plans so they know what to do when a crisis strikes. The easy-to-navigate app features information categorized by scenarios and offers actions to take in cases of fire, severe weather, evacuation and workplace violence, among other situations. The plans are customized for emergency events at Northwest and are accessible anytime, anywhere.
In addition, each crisis plan includes phone contacts and online resources where users can access more information when a crisis occurs. The app also features an audible siren and a flashlight.
“Helping our students and employees know what to do when a crisis situation occurs is a top priority at Northwest, and this technology gives us another tool to enhance the safety of our community,” said Lt. Mike Ceperley, Northwest’s emergency management coordinator.
“In Case of Crisis” is free and available for iPhone and Android devices. Users may download and access it by following these instructions:
- Scan the QR code to the right or download the “In Case of Crisis – Education” app, by IBA, Inc., at the Apple store or Google Play.
- Launch the app, scroll through the intro screens and click on “Get Started.”
- Click on the “+” symbol in the upper right corner to add a plan.
- Locate and select Northwest Missouri State University.
- Choose the Northwest Missouri State University plan to download to your phone. The Northwest plan will be saved to your phone and will appear immediately the next time you access the app.
For more information about the app or emergency preparedness at Northwest, visit www.nwmissouri.edu/police/.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
email@example.com | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468